C.orientalis setup (dirty water) [under construction]

Robert777

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Display Name
Robert
I have almost finished getting all of the stuff I need for my c.orientalis tank (25 gallon) , I just added the water and then the sand (brick/beach). As soon as I added the sand it became like a bog (to be expected). It looks really ugly as of now, I only have my filter (flaval) , sand, and water in as I do not want my plants to be dirty.

The plants I plan to add are:
1. Limnophila Indica
2. Limnophila Sessiflora
3. Purple Cabomba

Is it bad for plants to be in water that is from the tap? (even if it is treated with drops?)
Hard water is apparently not very good for growing plants, will it have a significant impact?

I hope the water clears by tomorrow, how long does it usually take?

Attachments

• Picture 020.jpg
    Picture 020.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 1,103
  • Picture 021.jpg
    Picture 021.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 554
Did you rinse the sand till the water ran clear before adding it? If not, it will probably take a day or two and possibly a water change to settle. What model Fluval are you using? The smaller Fluvals are based on biological filtration, which might not be your best bet yet. I would recommend getting some sort of mechanical filtration running with your setup first.

I tried to rinse the sand as well as I could but ended up losing a lot of sand in the process (sand went with the water out of the bucket).

The water I was using isnt the best water (for some reason it looks like 3rd world water). I did my best and added the sand to my RO water in the tank, and BAM, murky.

Oh well, looks like its time to wait.

Planning on doing biofiltration, thats why I only got the small Flaval. ( 12 US Gal )

Since you are still early-on in the process... and the water is so murky... if it were me, I'd dump it all out and rinse the sand better and start over. That amount of murkiness will take a long time and many water changes to go away. The suggestion I have heard is to put the sand in an old pillowcase for rinsing, that way it doesn't pour out with the water.

I think you can grow only (if ever) L. sessiflora in such poor-for-plants tank. Limnophila aquatica (called "indica") and purple cabomba (probably C. furcata?) needs ground rich for nutrients and good light, in sand you can't keep them healthy.

Thanks Jen, I'll try the pillow case bit today. I hope it goes well.

I will try to grow all my plants as best I can even if sand is not the best, I paid a bit of money for them so I;m not just going to throw them out now. xD Thanks for your replies.

Providing suitable light when I can and possibly using a fertilizer of some sort that does not affect my newt.

Update

Just a quick little update, just now I did a full water change to remove all of the filthy water. I put in water clarifying drops but they did nothing overnight.

After doing the water change (with little water in the tank) I could now see the bottom, as I added more if became milky but now I can see up to 2 inches of the sand on the bottom away from the glass.

I might try to keep doing this until the water becomes clean, also if I decide to add more sand I will try to use a pillow case and clear water to rinse it so I can REALLY tell whether it is clean or not.

Thanks for all of your replies. :D

Attachments

• Picture 022.jpg
    Picture 022.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 818
  • Picture 023.jpg
    Picture 023.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 378
Re: Update

I think you should change entire ground, not water in this tank, without anything in the glass it makes no problem. Put there gravel (or sand) from petshop.

Re: Update

I realized this soon after I re-filled the tank a couple times, I am planning to go out and get some nice black gravel. Should I get a fertilizer type gravel? Or maybe put a layer of fertilizer and then of gravel?

Thanks for your help Yahilles

Gravel isn't reccomended as it can cause impaction. It also traps waste, which may alter your water quality.

I think your choice of sand is good. I like the natural color, and the fine texture will work well for both plants and animals. You just need to take it out and rinse it like crazy. You might have to spend half an hour swirling and rinsing, but in the end it will work.

you should be able to grow plants in that tank.. :) Just wondering what light you will be using? If it doesnt work out you can always do some nice anubias, ferns or even some types of moss.

You could always throw some fine filter media in with your Fluval (internal filter?) and it can help you clear up some of that murky-ness. Just take care to not let the filter run without any media protection from the sand.

I agree with everyone.. Lots of water changes.. lol

Hope it clears up soon!

If you have only plants with low requirements you can grow them in the sand, but i don't think that i could make my tank looking like now using only sand as substrate:
akwaorient1.jpg

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back