Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

My shanjing is, um . . . dirty.

D

david

I don't have a photograph of him now, so I can't show you what I mean, but right now he looks sort of like a T. verrucosus. Is this just how a T. shanjig looks before it sheds it's skin? He seems to be acting normally, but it's summer time up here, and he's gained a layer of grime on his skin that doesn't seem to come off. I don't think it's fungus but I could be wrong. At first I wondered if it was because his home was too damp, so I used a few paper towels to absorb some of the excess moisture from the cage, but he still looked the same after a while (sometime worse). Then I noticed that the U-shaped piece of wood he uses to hide under now appears to be rotting and can't be touched without leaving some residue. It's been in there for years, but I guess a damp environment will do that to a piece of wood.

What do you guys think?

wouter

Reaction score
I've had this too with 2 T. shanjing some years ago. One of the two had all sorts of little black spots (looked like dirt first) but it didn't come off. This one died after a few weeks.
The other just shed his skin, and still lives today...

But I think the whole problem is the shedding of the skin. Sometimes I've got the idea that Asian Salamandrids quickly get problems with shedding their skin if the temperature or the humidity isn't good enough.

D

david

When I examined him last night, it did occur to me that he was shedding his skin, but in little flakes, so I let him be. When I checked on him today after work I noticed that his skin was back to it's normal bright color. I guess he shed it completely, though I was seriously starting to wonder if he had a fungal infection or something.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1