Black Region in Axolotl gills

Holness96

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have had 2 axolotls for just over 1 year now, a female and a male. The male in the last few months had a black strip show within its gill only to slowly lose most of his filaments. He has been off of his food which is earthworms and pellets. I have now put him into a suparate tank to the female axolotl which is not affected at all. In the new tank I have also put an almond leaf in with him which I read to help with disease.

Has anybody got any idea what is going on with my axolotl and any possible treatments for him?

Last water test:
Ph: 7.2
Ammonia : 0
Nitrate: 0
Nitrite: 20

Attachments

• 07C13F0B-D693-48B0-83B9-463376E807A7.jpg
    07C13F0B-D693-48B0-83B9-463376E807A7.jpg
    409.4 KB · Views: 178
Hm what temperature is the tank kept at?
I wonder if it could just be pigmentation? That doesn't explain the loss of filaments though, how much oxygen is getting into the water? As in, what filters do you use, a fan, airstones?

Thanks for responding. The temperature is 18 degrees, and there is just a filter on a low setting to oxygenate the water. I have a bubbler, do you suggest to put it in? I don’t understand why it is predominantly that gill, no others are like it

When there is too much oxygen in the water their gills can skrink, so that sounds fine to me. I wouldn't turn on the bubbler.
Usually any gill issues are from water quality but your parameters are perfect. How often do you do water changes?

I do a 50% water change at least once a week. If parameters worsen then I may do a 25% change also. I have been wondering if it could be a clot or something systemic. As there is no blood reaching the area, the filaments are not needed and have gone? Just a thought anyway

If it is it should heal itself, just keep the water clean and cool. You can do smaller water changes, I do 20% once a week, unless your parameters go crazy.
What dechlorinator are you using, and any other additives?

I am using prime dechlorinator, and I also add Pure aquarium bacteria balls as suggested my my aquatics shop to help with the good bacteria (once every couple of weeks) I am doing more water changes because of the almond leaf I have in as it decreases the pH quicker

You can add bits of coral in the tank (in the filter or a mesh bag) to keep the pH up, it might be easier than big water changes :)

Hi, I thought I’d update you about how my axolotl is getting on. Still he is hardly eating (half a worm in the last week).

I had him in a separate tank for a week and a half which was in a colder area between 7-12 degrees. He has not improved at all over this time period so I’ve put him back into his tank with another axolotl.

I still can’t see any fungal on him but refuses to eat pretty much everything. Water levels have been kept consistent but nothing seems to be working.

Hm has he lost a lot of weight or does he look alright?

He has lost a lot of weight now.. he is backing away as soon as any food goes near hin

What kind of worms are you feeding him?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back