At what ages would you classify a juvenile axolotl? how much to feed?

S

shane

i was wondering at what age is a juvenile axolotl. im wondering how much i should feed my axolotl but there are so many different opinions. mines only 5 or 6 months old. i feed it blood worms and ive been trying some garden worms (which she loves)but i dont know if im over feeding or under feeding her. what does everyone think?

(Message edited by shane_88 on May 31, 2005)

It depends on how long they are, not necessarily their age. Are they skinny? Or are they chubby? You want an axolotl that's plump, but not so plump you can't see their legs
happy.gif

lol well that was an effort which took many attemps to get her length. around 14-18cm sorry i dont know what that is in inches (if you need it in inches) she isnt skinny but she isnt chubby either. ive seen really really skinny axolotls and she's nothing like them so i think she looks pretty healthy. lol but thats a nice way of putting it thats its a fat axolotl. "but not so plump you can't see their legs
happy.gif
"
lol. why is it their legnth not their age that makes them a juvenile?.

(Message edited by shane_88 on May 31, 2005)

Axolotls all grow at different rates. I feel it's more reasonable to feed based on length. You may have an axolotl that's already almost adult size, but still a juvenile age wise. If you fed it twice a day, you'd probably end up overfeeding it, as it's not going through the juvenile growth spurt. At 18cm, I'd say she's getting close to her adult size.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back