Water filter

Socrates

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey have a question. I have a 20 gallon long that is cycling as we speak. I'm going to be getting three Bombina maxima on Tuesday. My question is I have a Repti Clear F350 Terrarium Filter by Exo Terra. Max flow rate is 81 Gph (307 LPH). The water depth is about 4 inches. Is this filter too strong? The water doesn't seem to be moving too much, just a little. I have the output pointed towards the tank wall. Just want to make sure I'm not doing over kill, because I know Bombina maxima come from fairly still waters. Thanks for any suggestions!:D

A couple of cleverly placed rocks and plants will allow you to control the current in the tank any way you see fit. Since the tank is currently cycling, get a couple of styrofoam packing peanuts and toss them in the tank. They will show you where the strongest current is, and where the dead spots are. Another excellent method suggested by a Caudata.org member is the use of floating turtle islands, the kind held in place with suction cups. This is such a brilliantly simple way to control current it bears mentioning here.

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back