How long will he stay in the water?

Gail

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a tiger sal larvae that is morphing, he has lost all his gills, his tail is rounded and except for his head shape, he look like a fully terrestrial tiger. My question is how long will he stay in the water? I though he would come out as soon as his gills were gone. Should I put him in his land cage in a big bowl of water or just leave him alone in the water cage?
I really need to get the water level back up in the water cage for the other larvae I have, as he is showing no signs of morphing anytime soon.

If there is a land area in the enclosure, it should climb out.

I know that much, i was just wondering how long until he might climb out. I don't know how he is still breathing underwater since his gills have been gone for 3 days or so.
Anyone have a opinion on putting him in a water bowl in the land cage?

I don't much about these animals, but I would consider moving him to another container that has very shallow water with a land area that is easy to climb onto. I don't think I'd force him onto land exclusively as he may not be ready. Is he coming to the surface to take in air?

Dana

If his gills are completely gone just put him in a different container with a shallow water dish and some large bark peices to hide under. Keep soil moist but not wet. He'll be fine

I went ahead and put him in his terrestrial cage with a large shallow water bowl and after a couple hours, he came out and is now exploring his new world:)
Thanks for all the advice, I'll try to get pics tomorow of my baby.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back