Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

No real plants, no oxygen in the water?

SmartBartje

Reaction score
Heya!

As of today i've started an aquarium in which I hopefully will raise 2 axolotl's. But first things first; readying the tank.

So I added water and fine sand, so that's a good thing, right? Tonight i'm gonna buy the interior; some stones and fake plants. Fake, because I just don't want to and keep real plants. I was just wondering if this ccould harm the water in any way bad for axies? Or should I buy something to keep the water 'breathing'?

Thanks in advance!

Jadore axolotl

Reaction score
As far as I know plants are not necessary but I'm sure they help. I think you should add a couple of real plants though, they require little or no care (maybe a little pruning of dead bits and overgrown bits). I have 2 fake and 2 real plants in my aquarium.
Maybe an air stone might help oxidise the tank if you are adamant not to keep real plants.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I´m personally a huge fan of live plants. You either use live plants or a filter....without any of those, keeping a tank healthy is a lot more work(it can be done of course but requires extra effort). There are some live plants that are perfect for a caudate tank and require no care at all except some light and the cleaning of rotten material(which you have to do anyway for the axolotl´s feces).
I prefer plants over filters cause axolotls are stil water creatures and a strong current wil stress them.

SmartBartje

Reaction score
Thanks for the answers. You guys kinda convinced me to take a few live plants. Would be fun, actually. Thanks. )

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
If you have enough and do the necessary partial water changes....no. That´s my opinion though, you may encounter others. It works for me....but then again my aquariums are FULL of plants....

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
So you dont need a filter if you have live plants?

This depends greatly on your skill level, your water quality out of the tap, and the bioload in your tank. Average temperatures, lighting and tank volume all come into play here. That and the adherence to an ironclad tank water chemistry maintenance schedule will increase your workload maintaining the tank quite a bit.

Filterless axolotl tanks should only be attempted by extremely experienced aquarists.

For the average pet keeper, live plants or not, you will need a filter.

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
Heya!

As of today i've started an aquarium in which I hopefully will raise 2 axolotl's. But first things first; readying the tank.

So I added water and fine sand, so that's a good thing, right? Tonight i'm gonna buy the interior; some stones and fake plants. Fake, because I just don't want to and keep real plants. I was just wondering if this ccould harm the water in any way bad for axies? Or should I buy something to keep the water 'breathing'?

Thanks in advance!

My vote is always for live plants. Fake plants are a pain to clean, and I am a lazy guy...:D Fake plants tend to make nothing more than an excellent surface for algae to grow on in my experience.

As for oxygen saturation, this varies greatly with the carbonate hardness of the water, the pH and the temperature. Then, to make it even more daunting, when you throw in water volume and bioload it becomes a very interesting mathematics exercise.

One thing to keep in mind with live plants though: Do your homework on these BEFORE you buy them. Many plants in the aquarium trade do not do well in axolotl water temperatures. Also, many require intense lighting, which axolotls are generally not fond of.

A bit of time with the search function here on the forums, using keywords like "plants, quarantine, and aquascaping" will open up even more information to you on this topic.

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Smartbartje,

There are pros and cons of keeping live water plants versus artificial water plants such as those made from silk or plastic as well as keeping any plants in the first place.

Advantages of keeping live plants in tank
- Provides hiding places
- Beautifies the tank
- Allows eggs/spermatophores to be attached to
- Provides larger surface area for beneficial bacteria to colonise
- Can buffer against ammonia and nitrite spikes

Disadvantages
- Well its alive so you got ensure you provide at least 6 hours of lighting.
- They can rot and die and if unremoved, can contribute to nitrogenous wastes.
- They can sometimes introduce unwanted parasites and other microorganisms, therefore you would need to quarantine your new plants first.
- There are some species of plants that can thrive better in a cold water tank such as the anubias over other species of water plants (especially some plant cuttings) that would tend to die quite easily. You would need to research the plants available to you whether they are suitable for your tank.
- Your axolotls may rip the plants out when snouting or digging around.

Here is a link that may be useful to you.

http://faq.thekrib.com/plant-list.html

Cheers.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1