floating/ breathing from top of water

Jadore axolotl

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Hey guys,
I'm just wondering if you could tell me if this is normal. Bud regularly floats in the aquarium and breaths from the surface (a gulp of air every half hour or so) but Bob does none of this. Is this normal?
He had fungus about 3 weeks ago and his frilly bits of gill are only starting to grow back... could this be why he needs to surface for air?
Thanks

Last edited:
Axolotls do have rudimentary lungs. If Bud has gill loss, he could be needing to use those lungs for supplemental oxygen. That's okay.

Does he float just when he gulps air? Or is it constant? Can he get to the bottom of the tank, or is he stuck at the surface? Is it centralized around his rear end, or does he float uniformly?

He floats uniformly. He can get to to bottom and sits with bob and walks around aswell and then he just floats up perfectly level. He somtimes floats half way up and others he goes to the surface. He eats well and has no sign of any problems... I was just wondering is it normal as Bob never goes to the surface but sometimes rests up in the plants.

I agree with Kaysie,

Periodic floating and gulping are pretty standard axolotl behaviours

Ok, thanks. I was just wondering because as I said Bob never floats but if it's normal then I have nothing to worry about.

Im not sure why some axolotls float and gulp air whilst some don't. Unless it becomes continual it is not really a problem but is worth keeping an eye on.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back