Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

I got a new frog.

gcollin

Reaction score
Today I bought a dwarf african frog, cute little guy, but I make this thread asking for ownership tips,
so if you have any advice please post it.:happy:

Last edited:

MaDsci

Reaction score
You bought one dwarf frog? In my experience having at least four is the bare minimum, any less than that, the frog would seem lonely and depressed and one seems a little boring.

gcollin

Reaction score
Another thing is, I am worried about putting them into my tropical fish tank because I have a hypostimus (huge thing about 5 inches now) who will sometimes bully the other fish, if he starts to pick on this frog then he will probably kill it, how can I prevent his?.

MaDsci

Reaction score
Another thing is, I am worried about putting them into my tropical fish tank because I have a hypostimus (huge thing about 5 inches now) who will sometimes bully the other fish, if he starts to pick on this frog then he will probably kill it, how can I prevent his?.

You can't, there's no way of preventing it. Dwarf frogs arn't really meant to be put in with fishes larger than them or even with other fishes smaller than them. They are truly gentle yet slow creatures and almost any fish you try to house them with will certainly harrass them or eat their food before they get a chance.

I had them once with some goldfish and they harrassed the frogs every single chance they got. Best bet is to house the dwarf frog in it's own enclosure.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, live foods are always much better. It will eat earthworms, blackworms, bloodworms...
It needs far more space than a 1gallon tank....please keep it in an apropriately big cycled tank.

I second that they should not be mixed with fish or any other thing.
In the future i suggest you research the species first, and then buy the animals...

gcollin

Reaction score
I went to my room to check on him and the temp in his cage was 76*f and he was being very very unresponsive, so now I am worried, so i think i will get a 10 gallon ASAP (i can't put a heater in his current tank).

gcollin

Reaction score
Okay I took care of the heating problem, but now maison (the frog) has a fungus on the tip of his nose.
What should I do to take care of this?.

Kerry1968

Reaction score
I'm not surprised your frog is not well. Perhaps in future you will find out how to take care of an animal BEFORE you purchase it.

I'm sorry I haven't any advice on how to treat the fungus, I hope he gets better soon.

Kerry1968

Reaction score
I'm sorry I was so harsh before. I wrote when I was angry without thinking.

I hope someone posts soon with some advice for you and your frog.

gcollin

Reaction score
Yes Kerry i agree i should of learned about my frog before i bought it but it was a "spur of the moment" thing.
And Kerry i was being naive this "fungus" is just him shedding.

-Collin

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
For what? Letting people buy pets without researching them first? That's not their fault.

jclee

Reaction score
Keep reading all you can on your dwarf frog, so that you can learn all about its needs. (There are a few frog forums, like this one, out there, like frogforum.net or talkto.thefrog.org, and if you do an internet search, there are a number of species-specific sites.)

One dominant view among hobbyists is to avoid species mixing of any kind. (I won't rehash the arguments; they're all over this site, and a simple search will pull up some of the debates on that front.)

Here is what I have to say about it, even though it may offend some people:

1.) quarintine your frog to ensure that it is healthy before even thinking about introducing it to a tank of fish. (Sounds like you've begun this.)

2.) If you have fish that are small enough to fit into its mouth and that you would like to keep alive, do not put the frog into your fishtank.

3.) If you have plant coverage, or other hidey places, AND a community of small-ish, non-aggressive fish, you might try (and here is where I will offend some) to introduce the frog after his quarantine.

4.) The hypostomus (is that the biggest fish in your tank?) might try to "suck" on the frog if he is underfed. (I had a similar experience with a pleco, and from then on, made sure to offer plenty of sinking algae pellets. It has not happened again.)

Beyond that, I might need to know the rest of the fish species in the tank to give any advice on their demeanor and the likelihood that they will attack.

I posted this because I genuinely feel that, if one is responsible and observant with the tank, dwarf frogs really can make a wonderful addition to a fishtank. (I have three that I added to my tank in ~2003, and they are living among cherry barbs and other peaceful fish, and they have been a joy.) Before you act on my advice, search for some of the anti-species-mixing arguments, as they are valid and worth considering. (I'm sure a few people will chime in after this posting to represent their side.)

I will also add the disclaimer that, in defending the practice of adding dwarf frogs to fishtanks, I do not mean that any species can be mixed with any other in any environment. (As I said, the anti-mixing camp has some very valid arguments.)

I just figured that, since you are new to dwarf frogs, it might be worthwhile to look into various ways of housing them, and decide what you think works best, for the animals and for yourself.

(To others who have read this and are on the other side of the debate, please remember that I mean no offense. :D)

Enjoy your tiny darlings.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!