Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Juvenile S.s.terrestris in winter

P

paul

Hi - and a happy new year!

Today (01.January) I visited a Salamandra salamandra terrestris habitat near Duesseldorf, NRW, Germany.
I observe this habitat since approximately 18 years. Today I wanted to make a winter check!
The first date when I found new born S.s.t- larvae there, was the 28.January.
Today I did not find any larva and no adult salamander – but I found two juvenile (6 cm). Both on different places, but only some meters away from the larvae brook. Interesting was, that they sat only under relatively small wood, near the surface without any holes in the ground. It was a mild day today, but last week it was simply cold with a lot of snow. I think, they did not find a good winter place. So it will be a question of the temperature of this winter, if they reach the spring or not. If we get a long, cold winter, I think they will freeze to death
sad.gif
– if we get a mild winter, they reach the next spring.
frog.gif

Here are some photos of them:
28610.jpg

28611.jpg

28612.jpg

28613.jpg

Paul

J

jennifer

Absolutely beautiful little creature. I hope it finds a place to hide.

J

juraj

Interesting find Paul and an interesting question. That`s a pity it`s almost impossible to study it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!