Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Another New Juvenile!

L

lauren

This guy's name is Shiro. He is a really small larva, only 1.2"! He can't even eat small pellets (like those from the Indiana U. colony), so he was given a feast of brine shrimp when he arrived this morning. He's in his own separate critter keeper, and won't be joining my wildtype, Ichiro, until he grows a little (Ichiro is about two and half times his size!).

40930.jpg

40931.jpg

R

rheann

Cuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuute! Those are some really big eyes he has there! Looks like he doesn't have any gold pygments or anything in his eyes. So very adorible ^_^ XD

L

lauren

Thanks everyone! He is the smallest axolotl I've ever seen (I've never hatched eggs). And yes, his eyes are completely black! My last leucistic had some blue.

41028.jpg

L

lauren

Belinda - According to the IU axolotl colony, he's probably a little over 2 months old (since it says they should be an inch by 1 and a half to 2 months). I don't know if you can tell for sure because their growth rates might be different. He has legs already, but he can't swallow small pellets.

I know John Clare's site used to have a sequence of pictures with sizes and ages, but he seems to have taken that part down.

S

stacy

It can be hard to tell by size what an axies age is. My axies are 10 1/2 weeks old now. My biggest is 5 inches. My smallest is 2 inches. All the others are in between. And they are all from 1 batch of eggs.

R

rheann

I have one of those plants too ^_^ I just don't have it in my tank at this moment. They come in different sizes too ^_^

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!