Spanish Ribbed Newt Problem

monkeyfrogman28

Reaction score
Country
United States
My spanish Ribbed Newt cant sumerge its hind legs anymore. Its back end keeps up towards the surface while his head and front is on the gravel totaly summerged. It used to have no problem summerging. It seem that he has gotten alot bigger in the last month by a whole inch. Also developed some orange stripe on each side. I dont know whats going on.

I'm sorry to hear about it your newt.
It could be a bloat but not to sure maybe someone more experienced can help you.
A picture could help

That sounds like a water quality issue. It also seems the tank is pretty shallow....if the newt can touch the gravel while being bound to the surface....i´d say you need a LOT more water. These are big newts, they need space, and they need a lot of water.
Small water masses becoming unhelathy very quickly, and retain their temperature for short time. Both those things are probably causing the problem, bad water quality, and high temps.

That sounds like a water quality issue. It also seems the tank is pretty shallow....if the newt can touch the gravel while being bound to the surface....i´d say you need a LOT more water. These are big newts, they need space, and they need a lot of water.
Small water masses becoming unhelathy very quickly, and retain their temperature for short time. Both those things are probably causing the problem, bad water quality, and high temps.

The temps are stable and cool and the water is actually very clean. My newt is a juvie, not even close to adult size. I think it might have swallowed a small stone. I was told to feed him until it passes. Problem is solved. It seems after I fed it, the next day he was able to summerge all the way.

Sounds like constipation.

But to avoid any problems with gravel, you should remove any small stones that could be swallowed.

And even juvies need a lot of water. This species is predominantly aquatic, and rarely (if ever) comes out of the water.

Perhaps this is dumb...but if a newt were impacted by gravel wouldn't that cause the opposite problem?(make it tougher to surface?) Unless perhaps gravel then causes a buildup of gas?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back