New I.Alpestris not feeding

Aplestris

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I got an adult pair of Ichthyosaura Aplestris Alpestris last Friday. They are being kept in a 60cm long and 40cm wide flat plastic tub/tank outdoors (no filtration, some elodea more will come, no direct sunlight for most of the day and temperature between 6 and 18 degrees Celsius atm) . It originally had a smaller inside with eco earth and a hide for a land area but they went straight to the water. I noticed the male shed his skin and they both have laterally compressed tails and smoother skin so they look to be in the aquatic mode. Some times they will sit on the wood above the water (usually at night).

Anyway, I have been offering them small earthworms and frozen bloodworms but they have refused them. I have seen them move up towards the food and seemingly smell them but they then move off and ignore it. They aren't dangerously skinny but are on the thin side at the moment. Also, they are not thrashing around the tank and do not seem to be stressed like my CFBNs were for the first few days.

I have added some daphnia from my pond (where there is very little due to predation from wild newts) today but I don't know what else to offer them. Any ideas or tips?
Thankyou in advance :happy:
Maybe pictures will help, I am trying

Here are a few awful pictures of the newts. 1 and 3 are the male, 2 is the female. The male is clearly not in breeding gear as he does not have a bright blue colouration but his crest is just about visible. The female also has a small crest thing on her tail.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back