Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Help, What do I do!?

Best Poop and Silica Sand cleaning gear?

• Siphon

Votes: 13 54.2%
  • Turkey Baster

Votes: 13 54.2%
  • Net

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 1 4.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Zeusa

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm from New Zealand and I've been looking after a cutie pie, Zeus :love: just over a month now. I have made many mistakes and am trying to inform the **** out of myself now. I joined Caudata.org so that i can be prepared and I was hoping you might have advice for a fair few questions I have :wacko: :confused: :crazy:

A bit about Zeus: He was bought from a pet store and I think he was quite young, half his size around 8mths-1yr ago, I don't know. He's yellow with pink gills and red and yellow eyes. He started developing a brown growth on the back of his jawline, underneath the gills either before purchase or during early home life. (It hangs off like a brown pellet has gotten stuck to him. The human equivalent of where the growth is, would be like a brown mole growing on your throat where your right gland is)
His tank was 10L (non filtered) and he still has his little tri-tunnel.

I started looking after Z maybe 5-8mths after he was bought. (The owner had to leave for work far away and is meant to be getting him back when he finishes.)
I started to get freaked out and took his water for sampling. The ammonia levels were atrocious.

So, I got him: An Eheim Pickup 60 Internal filter, API Melafix Antibacterial remedy and a second-hand 60L tank (which i didn't cycle :/ It was a very sudden affair and I just focused on cleaning the tank out and getting Zeus out of the ammonia sitch ASAP. Petstore man advised to do so incase there were other diseases too.) (Also, I use API Stress Coat+ to dechlorinate the tap water for his water changes)

Zeus responded well.
The Melafix worked a charm, the filter was a bit obnoxious and the current a tad strong, but Z curled his tail less and his white spots starting clearing while his gills got their colour back.

Here's where I messed up.. I put the river-stone gravel as his substrate that came with the tank, messed up his feeding (stopped feeding him for awhile :(), panicked a lot and left foodies in his tank... I also stupidly almost suffocated him a couple times, ignorant about metamorphosing. I've frightened him a lot.

My current predicament: Zeus is a big boy now 19cm, his jaw growth is bigger. (Petstore guy said it's the human equivalent of having a boil or the like?) He has a bit of fin rot at the tip of his tail and just recently I Melafix'ed some nasty red spots that formed there as well. He's still covered in white spots, his cloaca looks swollen but I don't know the best way to check for sure and I'm not sure how regularly I should feed him anymore. His slime coat sucks too. I recently got him a thermometer and changed his substrate to silica sand.

Upside :proud::happy::
I don't panic anymore and giggle and play with Zeus during feeding time now. He doesn't curl his tail so much with me anymore and lets me stroke it gently. Sometimes I give him gentle chin tickles. (Well actually his lips, just for a second after the pellet goes in; affectionate feeding? haha.. he doesn't like his head pet and not so much his stomach either)

The burning questions:
What else do I need to get him? A heater? (Water temp sitting at 18-20C) Do 5 n 1 testing strip kits work accurately? Or what test kit should I buy for cheap? What media should I put in the Eheim for a healthy tank.. can I put bio and sponge? What easy to manage plants can I grow in the silica sand? Which is best for cleaning up poop and also the substrate; a turkey baster or a siphon filter? What other tools might I need? I feed him pellets only, (JBL Novo Lotl; I let them sit in a teaspoon of tank water to soften before I feed Z) but want to put more in his diet; what else can I feed him that will help him get healthier? What does it mean when you gently touch his side and he spazzes out?

Sorry for the length!!
But I needed this all outta my head! Hope you guys are able to help me make a plan of action and I look forward to getting to know you too :happy:. Lutza luv: ZEUS n Sa

leandrah

Reaction score
The temperature is perfect. Dont use the strips, they arent as accurate - rather use the testing tube things with the liquid. Bio and Sponge is good :). A turkey baster is apparently the best to use when it comes to sand (the siphon will suck up all the sand). You should feed him earthworms as his staple diet - its very good for them.

Let him get used to your hands first before touching him. I hand feed my Axolotls the earthworms and it really helps them to become tame

Zeusa

Reaction score
Awesome! Thanks for your help :) Turkey baster it is. As for the earth worms, how do i go about switching his diet to those and where should I get them from?

Asevernnnn

Reaction score
You can get them out of the ground.
Just start feeding them to him daily - they love them

I'd thought I'd add to this,
You can get them out of the ground from a pesticide free area, if that isn't an option you can get worms from bait shops, though, I don't know what you have where you live

Skudo09

Reaction score
I prefer syphon over Turkey baster. I find it you only hover the syphon just above the sand you shouldn't suck up sand or you only suck up a very minimal amount of sand. But I do use the turkey baster for spot cleaning and syphon during weekly water changes :)

Start your own earthworm farm if you can :). There is a thread on doing this on the forum :).

Hellabeck

Reaction score
I agree with getting worms at a bait shop, i switched mine to axolotl pellets from flymeat.com, they ste them easy feom day one. I, however, dont think a turkey baster is all that great. I prefer half inch tuning from a hardware store long enough to go down to a bucket, and siphon the water.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!