Our experience with play sand

You can use a long tube about 1.5 inch wide and aprox 1.5m In length (bunnings will have it) and syphon it out into buckets. You can fill a 20 litle bucket in about a minute or two because the larger the opening of the tube/syphon the quicker it will flow. Sand is light so most will come out with the water. Just tip out the excess water from the buckets and start rinsing. To get out the last bits from the tank I also use a dustpan and rinse sand like mentioned.^

Hope this helps!::D

It worked like a charm! Thanks for the advice ^^ Now their tank is all set up and I don't have to worry about them swallowing gravel.....which one of them did because i found a purple pebble on the bottom on the tank this moring when i got up...

Hi i just wanted to say axolotls under 5 to 6 inches should NOT be in sand because they are too small to pass it for that reason tile or bottomless till they are big enough to handle any kind of sand as for playsand crayola does say is safe for aquariums with no bleeding of color and none toxic im still doing ton of research since caribsea is also for aquariums however the black kind killed half my fish overnight due to high concentrations of metal in it and it jas been discontinued by the brand , i have read white and tan are the only safe ones for axolotls by the brand i hope this helps .

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back