The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate Discussions on tanks, temperature, filters, gravel, lights etc.

Old 18th October 2019   #1
Hayley
(Hayleyy)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 1
Rep: Hayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Default Is AquaIron sand safe?

I have about half a bag of the Oliver Knott Aquairon sand from my planted tank. It's super finely grained so I was thinking of using it in my currently barebottom axolotl tank. I'm just hesitant since it is iron rich and I'm not sure how safe this might be for my axolotls? It says it doesn't affect composition at all and is safe for all aquatics but I want to be sure.
I'll link to the site I got it from as it has all the info
https://www.thetechden.com.au/AquaIr...aquairon15.htm
Thank you :)

Hayleyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #2
AnAxolotlKid

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: AnAxolotlKid is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Is AquaIron sand safe?

If it is aquatic sand, it should be fine, but standard black sand is usually the best option. If it is plant sand, it may not be as good of a choice, but still definitely suitable. You should also rinse thoroughly before putting into the tank. Know that rinsing will take a long time, depending on how much sand you have. Enough sand for a 20gal tank takes about 30-45mins to rinse and the tank will still fog up, but after about a day, the sand fog should clear with the help of a filter.

AnAxolotlKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #3
AnAxolotlKid

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: AnAxolotlKid is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Is AquaIron sand safe?

Also keep in mind that axolotls do tend to prefer darker sand over lighter sand. The more thin/fine the sand is, the better!

AnAxolotlKid is offline   Reply With Quote