The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate Discussions on tanks, temperature, filters, gravel, lights etc.

Old 14th October 2019   #1
kletsgo

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: kletsgo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anyone have experience with topsoil for axolotls?

Hey guys! I tried to look for a similar post to this but couldn't find one ANYWHERE. However, I apologize if this has been talked about already.

I was thinking about using topsoil in my axolotl tank to help my plants grow. I've heard that you can use this (organic and sterilized, of course) in aquariums, and I was thinking that you could use this in lieu of fertilizers, since they're not great for axies. Obviously, though, my baby is more important than my tiger lilies/banana plants (that are very quickly dying due to nutrient deficiency).

Any advice is appreciated!

kletsgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2019   #2
Julia
(bellabelloo)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 13
Rep: bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11
Default Re: Anyone have experience with topsoil for axolotls?

I am going to say yes. When I have done a Walstad style tank for my various aquatic amphibians, I have used top soil, which is then covered in a layer of sand or grit. Plants had been planted directly into the soil first before adding the grit. I don't see why you couldn't do similar with just pots used for plants.

bellabelloo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, axolotl, substrate