Something wrong with my firebelly newts eye

tbage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, im completely new here. I purchased 3 firebelly newt efts over a month ago maybe two months. One died within the first 2 weeks, It appeared ill as soon as I got It, shiny skin and a damaged tail. It was extremely skinny and wouldn't eat.

Up until now they've both been fine, one of them spent the first week in the water which I thought was odd.

The newt attached has a clear issue with his eye, he can see out of it as he responds to stimulus but it's constantly watery and he keeps it closed. He can open It, I've seen him open it. It dries up fast however.

I'm not sure what's wrong with him, you're all more experienced than me so I hope even at first glance it may be obvious what's wrong. Maybe I just have to wait for him to get better? He's behaving normally and eating normally. I'm slightly worried, though.

Attachments

• 20180812_183540.jpg
    20180812_183540.jpg
    256.2 KB · Views: 154
Please if anyone viewing this has any idea I would deeply appreciate the help, I don't live anywhere near any exoticbvet I haven't got many options. I don't want him to die, I've not had him long enough. His eye is constantly wet but when opened just shows a stale, frozen "picture" of an eye. It doesn't look good.

Is it stuck shed or did he hurt himself? If you can't take him to the vet you will just have to wait and see if it heals.

Is it stuck shed or did he hurt himself? If you can't take him to the vet you will just have to wait and see if it heals.

By the looks of It, although I'm not an expert, he must have hurt himself or acquired some sort of illness another way, its only one eye that's covered and it's constantly wet. What is the safest way to check if he's stuck shedding?

Edit: even though 20 minutes ago his eye was covered and damaged, suddenly it's looking a lot better and he can see out of it again. It's still covered in a wet substance but if he truly is healing I'm so happy

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back