The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Sick Axolotl? Axolotl looking down in the gills? The doctors are in.

Old 5 Days Ago   #1
CaroHow

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: CaroHow is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Black pigment and speckles on golden albino axolotl face?!

Hi there, my three year old male golden albino axolotl has developed black pigmentation on his face. He usually has some around his lips and chin as well as fingertips which is just his normal sexual maturity pigmentation. However, it has now spread out from this area over his nose and up towards his forehead where it goes speckley. He is not leucistic so it shouldn't be freckles. I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas what this may be or if it's anything to worry about? I've attached some photos for you to see. I'm a bit worried it could have something to do with the prolonged heat wave we've had in the UK? I'm adding ice bottles and managing to keep him below 21C but trying to keep him below 18 but it keeps rising overnight. Do they get the urge to mate in warmer temperatures and could this increase in pigmentation be caused by this? Has anyone ever encountered this? I've scoured the forum but can't find anything similar.

He is his usual self and eating very well as always. He isn't showing any signs of stress like forward facing gills, curled tail or loss of appetite.

He gets axolotl pellets ever other day (his tum is the width of the widest part of his head) and lives in a 150liter tank on a sand substrate with plastic plants, rocks and a hide. He has a filter with a spray bar on very low so as not to cause a flow.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated as I am worried its something else and wouldn't want to miss something and him to be ill!

Thanks!

Caroline
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20180806-WA0049.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	257.4 KB
ID:	54051   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20180806-WA0047.jpeg
Views:	7
Size:	533.8 KB
ID:	54052  

CaroHow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Days Ago   #2
Hayleyy
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: Hayleyy has given good advice and informationHayleyy has given good advice and information
Default Re: Black pigment and speckles on golden albino axolotl face?!

I've seen a few posts with pigmentation like this appearing around the mouth. As far as I remember it isn't anything to worry about. Does it look like it's above the skin, or is it flush against it (like it is just skin)?

Old 5 Days Ago   #3
CaroHow

Nationality:

Hi! Thanks for getting back to me. Its not raised or anything, just looks like a spread in pigmentation. He has a little bit around his cloaca and down the fronts of his legs. I've attached a few more photos in better light to give you an idea. I'm just worried it could be a bacterial infection and I'm missing something but I haven't found an infection that would present in a black colour.

P.s. ignore the light brown patch on the right of his head. He's always had this and it's never grown or changed shape!

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180813_090032474.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	361.8 KB
ID:	54054   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180813_090304918.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	2.14 MB
ID:	54055   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180813_090318960.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	389.7 KB
ID:	54056   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180813_090940703.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	502.6 KB
ID:	54057  

Old 4 Days Ago   #4
Hayleyy
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: Hayleyy has given good advice and informationHayleyy has given good advice and information

It's really symmetrical (very cool!), which makes me think pigmentation. Unless anyone points out anything else just keep an eye on it, look for any other signs of sickness.

Old 4 Days Ago   #5
CaroHow

Nationality:

Thanks Hayley, you've helped put my mind at rest. I'll keep an eye on him for now as he's his usual self otherwise.

Thanks!