The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

Old 5 Days Ago   #1
tbage

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: tbage is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Something wrong with my firebelly newts eye

Hello, im completely new here. I purchased 3 firebelly newt efts over a month ago maybe two months. One died within the first 2 weeks, It appeared ill as soon as I got It, shiny skin and a damaged tail. It was extremely skinny and wouldn't eat.

Up until now they've both been fine, one of them spent the first week in the water which I thought was odd.

The newt attached has a clear issue with his eye, he can see out of it as he responds to stimulus but it's constantly watery and he keeps it closed. He can open It, I've seen him open it. It dries up fast however.

I'm not sure what's wrong with him, you're all more experienced than me so I hope even at first glance it may be obvious what's wrong. Maybe I just have to wait for him to get better? He's behaving normally and eating normally. I'm slightly worried, though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180812_183540.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	256.2 KB
ID:	54050  

tbage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Days Ago   #2
tbage

Nationality:
Default Re: Something wrong with my firebelly newts eye

Please if anyone viewing this has any idea I would deeply appreciate the help, I don't live anywhere near any exoticbvet I haven't got many options. I don't want him to die, I've not had him long enough. His eye is constantly wet but when opened just shows a stale, frozen "picture" of an eye. It doesn't look good.

Old 4 Days Ago   #3
Otterwoman
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11

Is it stuck shed or did he hurt himself? If you can't take him to the vet you will just have to wait and see if it heals.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | My Blog
Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Days Ago   #4
tbage

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterwoman View Post
Is it stuck shed or did he hurt himself? If you can't take him to the vet you will just have to wait and see if it heals.
By the looks of It, although I'm not an expert, he must have hurt himself or acquired some sort of illness another way, its only one eye that's covered and it's constantly wet. What is the safest way to check if he's stuck shedding?

Edit: even though 20 minutes ago his eye was covered and damaged, suddenly it's looking a lot better and he can see out of it again. It's still covered in a wet substance but if he truly is healing I'm so happy