The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) A dedicated topic for those seeking help with Axolotls, showing off your photos, or just to talk about them.

Old 6 Days Ago   #1
Microterror

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Microterror is an unknown quantity at this point
Default All about Fans!

So I recently rescued 2 adorable axolotols and Iím ready to set up theyíre new tank but I canít find any good information on fans! Iím personally using a 20 long. Noise is a big concern for me as I will have the tank in the same room as my bird and she will get louder to match the room volume (drama queen). Another important consideration is how sleek it is, I am capable of diy-ing something but I would much rather buy a reliable fan that looks nice and professional. In this 20 long the temperature will need to drop roughly 4 degrees Fahrenheit in the summer. Iím up for all suggestions! Iíve been looking at the ipettite but I canít find any reviews so if youíve used it please let me know your experience.

Microterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Days Ago   #2
ShrimpShepherd

Nationality:
Rep: ShrimpShepherd has shown reliable knowledge
Default Re: All about Fans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Microterror View Post
So I recently rescued 2 adorable axolotols and Iím ready to set up theyíre new tank but I canít find any good information on fans! Iím personally using a 20 long. Noise is a big concern for me as I will have the tank in the same room as my bird and she will get louder to match the room volume (drama queen). Another important consideration is how sleek it is, I am capable of diy-ing something but I would much rather buy a reliable fan that looks nice and professional. In this 20 long the temperature will need to drop roughly 4 degrees Fahrenheit in the summer. Iím up for all suggestions! Iíve been looking at the ipettite but I canít find any reviews so if youíve used it please let me know your experience.
That depends on what the ambient temperature is. Dropping 4 degrees from 70 to 66 degrees is easier in a room that is 75 degrees than it is in an 80 degrees. What is your tank temperature right now, the target temperature, and your ambient (room) temperature?

ShrimpShepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Days Ago   #3
Hayleyy
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: Hayleyy has given good advice and informationHayleyy has given good advice and information

+1 to above.
I got my fan from ebay. It's only a cheap one, the brand is Boyu. I've never had an issue, until it fell into the water and now makes a really loud sound for a minute if bumped lol. It's fairly sleek, but you can get much nicer ones.
For me summer water temps were at least 25 degrees, which would drop to about 20 with the fan only. In winter the room sits just under 20, so with a fan is around 15 degrees.

Old 13 Hours Ago   #4
Microterror

Nationality:
Rep: Microterror is an unknown quantity at this point

71 to 69 Fahrenheit is where it sits now

Microterror is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axolotl, cooling, fan