Question: Neotenic Alpines

obrowell

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Owen
So most of my apuanus have morphed about 2/3 weeks ago and the ones that I have held onto are doing really well. However two of them are still happily swimming about with their gills in full bloom, showing no signs of morphing. I know this happens sometimes but I was wondering how normal this is and roughly how long they stay like this? Further to this is there anything that can stimulate the morphing process?

Oh and finally....I promise...what about the colouration? Will their adult colours still develop or will they stay a greyish mottled colour?

Thanks

Just because they haven´t morphed yet it doesn´t mean they won´t. True neoteny is certainly possible in I.alpestris but it´s not that common. Most apparently neotenic animals end up morphing sooner or later.
Now, if they trully are neotenic, it can last their whole lives. However, metamorphosis can be induced (although i don´t see the point).
The coloration should develop very much the same as any other adult. There might be some minor differences to go with the morphological ones, but otherwise, it´s the very same.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back