Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Tank size for 2 adults (well eventually they'd be adults)

Sykadelic

Reaction score
I was looking here: Axolotls - Housing in Captivity and it says 45cm tank for one adult, does that mean 90 for 2 and 135 for 3 and so on? Or is there some sort of scale I can work from?

I don't have axies yet but I'm planning for them (and the cost to "do it right") so would a 60 cm tank be sufficient for two?.. that seems small :S

Can anyone post an example of a tank they think would be best for 2 axies? Or PM me a link to one on PetSmart or Petco that would be good for them? i might not buy the exact tank you recommend but at least I know the size and volume I should be looking at.

I'm also not sure what kind of filter I should get. Ugh.. so many decisions! HELP! :S

vlcuXX

Reaction score
Its not the best pic... But here's my 35 gallon that houses 2...Soon to be 4

207211_201016266597780_100000682240506_606408_8232826_n.jpg

mewsie

Reaction score
Hey!

New tank! How exciting :)

60cm.. probably a bit too small for two adults? I'm trying to picture 60cm in my head...

If funds will allow, I'd say go as big as you can, I can almost guarantee you'll be wanting axolotl #3 at some point!

I have 2 adults in a 3ft3 tank, they will be joined by a third soon. I like to see them swim about (they do like to go on a bit of a dash about sometimes, and ours swim around a lot most evenings) and I'm a sucker for new plants and ornaments, so the more space there is, the more you can sculpt wonderous structures out of rocks and plants and wood!

Once you know what tank you are getting, choosing the filter will be easier. You might even find out your new tank comes bundled with one! Just make sure the flow isn't too strong. My Juwel tank came with quite a powerful filter, but I added a spray bar which disperses the flow across the back of the tank.

Have you seen some tanks you fancy?

Erzs

Reaction score
Like Mewsie has said, chances are you'll want a 3rd, and a 4th, and a...you get the picture! So go for the biggest you can afford for the moment. I'd recommend a 3ft long for 2. Just remember for it to be long and not tall. Axolotls like their walking space!

Mewsie has already covered the filter question. If you see some options that you're unsure about post the links up and I'm sure someone will compare and help you choose. =]

Sykadelic

Reaction score
Its not the best pic... But here's my 35 gallon that houses 2...Soon to be 4

Hey!

New tank! How exciting :)

60cm.. probably a bit too small for two adults? I'm trying to picture 60cm in my head...

If funds will allow, I'd say go as big as you can, I can almost guarantee you'll be wanting axolotl #3 at some point!

I have 2 adults in a 3ft3 tank, they will be joined by a third soon. I like to see them swim about (they do like to go on a bit of a dash about sometimes, and ours swim around a lot most evenings) and I'm a sucker for new plants and ornaments, so the more space there is, the more you can sculpt wonderous structures out of rocks and plants and wood!

Once you know what tank you are getting, choosing the filter will be easier. You might even find out your new tank comes bundled with one! Just make sure the flow isn't too strong. My Juwel tank came with quite a powerful filter, but I added a spray bar which disperses the flow across the back of the tank.

Have you seen some tanks you fancy?

Thank you both for your quick replies :)

The mentions of gallons helps because that's what the pet stores list them as. I'm Aussie born and the gallons and inches while I can google the conversion.. still sounds like Klingon to me :p

I'm thinking one of the tank/stand combos you can get from Petco/Petsmart etc. While i could probably buy something, or have something that would work as a stand, I like the "dedicated" look.

I need a stand/tank that would also house a chiller/heater because of summer/winter here in Iowa. My husband prefers keeping the air on 65 but over summer I'm sure we'll probably leave it off a lot of the time and over winter I sometimes up it to 70 when I'm feeling a little chilly so I'm concerned the temp changes wouldn't be good. I have a place all picked out in my house so that once the tanks in, that's it. We have a cellar but it's dark and dingy and I don't trust the air quality for a tank. We have a room near the laundry I could put it in but then I can't see it! So there's a wall in the living room that's gunna be cleared to house it :D

Do I need an air pump too or is the filter enough for that too? I don't know if I'm allowed to post links from Petco etc or if that's considered advertising or against the TOS

mewsie

Reaction score
You can post links for us to look at :)

You won't NEED an air pump as such, but mine all LOVE the bubbles from their air stones, they just sit with their chins in the bubbles like a jacuzzi! Plus as a bonus it helps with keeping the oxygen up in the tank, AND keeps it slightly cooler.

I know what you mean about the dedicated look, I spent a fortune on my tank and stand, but it looks like a proper piece of furniture, I love it!

It's difficult to say how the temperature will fluctuate. Bigger tanks will maintain their temperature better, even if we have the heating on most of the day, our tanks rarely raise more than 1 degree c. Thats something you'd have to monitor yourself, and invest in a chiller if it changes wildly or gets about 22ish. I'd reckon its very unlikely you'd need a heater, axies love the cold :)

Sykadelic

Reaction score
You can post links for us to look at :)

You won't NEED an air pump as such, but mine all LOVE the bubbles from their air stones, they just sit with their chins in the bubbles like a jacuzzi! Plus as a bonus it helps with keeping the oxygen up in the tank, AND keeps it slightly cooler.

I know what you mean about the dedicated look, I spent a fortune on my tank and stand, but it looks like a proper piece of furniture, I love it!

It's difficult to say how the temperature will fluctuate. Bigger tanks will maintain their temperature better, even if we have the heating on most of the day, our tanks rarely raise more than 1 degree c. Thats something you'd have to monitor yourself, and invest in a chiller if it changes wildly or gets about 22ish. I'd reckon its very unlikely you'd need a heater, axies love the cold :)

Good to know about the chiller heater so I'll get a tank and do the cycling thing and monitor the temp and see how hot we get and how badly it changes and then get a chiller if required.

So I need the tank, a filter and a temp thingy at the very least (not including all the pH, chlorine, and nitrate test kits). That's not too bad..

mewsie

Reaction score
My concerns are:
1. Do i need to pull the lights out for feedings?
2. Where would the filter sit? Would have to get one that sits in the tank (that's what I used to have)
3. Where would the chiller/heater be poked through to access the tank?

That looks pretty funky, it's massive! Whoop! If you get teeny babies, that tank might be a bit big at first as they'd struggle to find food, but you could pick up a cheap smaller tank til they are bigger, or get bigger axies to start with.

Not sure how those lights fit so it's hard to say - as I don't have cats or children I tend to leave the hood off my tank most of the time, less hassle when I go in with the turkey baster to de-poop the tank!

You could get an internal filter, sure. They do take up space, and can add a degree or two to the temp. I have an internal one, and its fine. Or you could get an external one to save space.

Difficult without seeing it to know where stuff would poke through. Most manufacturers take this into account with designing hoods though - have you seen this in person?

Good to know about the chiller heater so I'll get a tank and do the cycling thing and monitor the temp and see how hot we get and how badly it changes and then get a chiller if required.

So I need the tank, a filter and a temp thingy at the very least (not including all the pH, chlorine, and nitrate test kits). That's not too bad..

Yup, tank, filter, thermometer, definitely a testing kit, dechorinator is essential for treating the water, turkey baster is a must have, too! Plus ornaments, plants, sand (you know about gravel being a no-no?) and... something else I think I forgot... what is it now... oh yeah... AXOLOTLS! ^_^

Sykadelic

Reaction score
That looks pretty funky, it's massive! Whoop! If you get teeny babies, that tank might be a bit big at first as they'd struggle to find food, but you could pick up a cheap smaller tank til they are bigger, or get bigger axies to start with.

Not sure how those lights fit so it's hard to say - as I don't have cats or children I tend to leave the hood off my tank most of the time, less hassle when I go in with the turkey baster to de-poop the tank!

You could get an internal filter, sure. They do take up space, and can add a degree or two to the temp. I have an internal one, and its fine. Or you could get an external one to save space.

Difficult without seeing it to know where stuff would poke through. Most manufacturers take this into account with designing hoods though - have you seen this in person?

Yup, tank, filter, thermometer, definitely a testing kit, dechorinator is essential for treating the water, turkey baster is a must have, too! Plus ornaments, plants, sand (you know about gravel being a no-no?) and... something else I think I forgot... what is it now... oh yeah... AXOLOTLS! ^_^

Haven't seen this one in person no. It doesn't need to be that one exactly. Feel like I'll know what tank I want/need when I see it but I needed a minimum gallon thingy. So you think 50 gallons is too big? 30 should be enough?

Re feedings... could I kinda scoop them (if they're babies) into a container and feed them in the container then put them back in the big tank or would this stress them out? Or should I get a smaller tank and set it all up... then buy a bigger tank and cycle it as they grow before moving them into it? And how rapidly do they grow?

Thanks so much for the help btw.. i don't wanna waste money on getting the wrong thing let alone lose them.

As for size, i'm buying them from Jay Sommers (member here) and he needs to post them so I assume they'd be babies.. or can I buy them bigger? In Aus I only even bought them basically fully grown.. never saw them as babies till I was on here...

carsona246

Reaction score
When they're adults it's pretty hard to get too big. A 30 gallon would be just as too big for babies as a 50. If you hand feed your babies, it really won't be a problem, and most people suggest keeping young axolotls in smaller tanks till they get bigger anyways. I'd suggest a 40 breeder if you can find one for 2 axolotls. The footprint is what matters, and a 40 breeder fish tank has more width than a 50 gallon tank. I'd suggest sticking to the biggest tank you can get. I hand feed my axolotls, so they always swim up to my hand, so feeding them is never a problem for me.

Sykadelic

Reaction score
When they're adults it's pretty hard to get too big. A 30 gallon would be just as too big for babies as a 50. If you hand feed your babies, it really won't be a problem, and most people suggest keeping young axolotls in smaller tanks till they get bigger anyways. I'd suggest a 40 breeder if you can find one for 2 axolotls. The footprint is what matters, and a 40 breeder fish tank has more width than a 50 gallon tank. I'd suggest sticking to the biggest tank you can get. I hand feed my axolotls, so they always swim up to my hand, so feeding them is never a problem for me.
I hand fed my old ones so good to know that's not a problem.

Do you have a link to the tank you're talking about? Do I need to go to a specialty store for it?

Skilly

Reaction score
I was going to say too that a 40 gallon breeder is perfect for 2 axolotls and is big enough so that if later on you want to add another you can do so easily. :D

I am in the process of getting a 40 breeder myself... waiting for them to go on sale..hehe.

They have them at Petsmart and Petco! I haven't seen them on their websites (otherwise I would put a link on) but if you go into the store and take a peek you will see how nice the tank is.

The dimensions are 36in long x 18in wide x 12in high. Loads more floor space than say a 55 gallon.

I can't wait to get my 40 breeder.... I have 2 in a 29 gallon right now because my 4ft tank cracked... and it is a bit tight.

carsona246

Reaction score
I was pretty happy with my 40 breeder..... till it cracked

Sykadelic

Reaction score
I was going to say too that a 40 gallon breeder is perfect for 2 axolotls and is big enough so that if later on you want to add another you can do so easily. :D

I am in the process of getting a 40 breeder myself... waiting for them to go on sale..hehe.

They have them at Petsmart and Petco! I haven't seen them on their websites (otherwise I would put a link on) but if you go into the store and take a peek you will see how nice the tank is.

The dimensions are 36in long x 18in wide x 12in high. Loads more floor space than say a 55 gallon.

I can't wait to get my 40 breeder.... I have 2 in a 29 gallon right now because my 4ft tank cracked... and it is a bit tight.

I was pretty happy with my 40 breeder..... till it cracked

Oooo is the cracking normal?

Minniechild

Reaction score
With my first three, I set up a small-ish, clear area right at the front of my 4ft tank (I know it's about 180-200L, so 50 gallons or 60?), and then they learnt to come there to eat. Even in their smaller tank, they know that food will come just to the left of the heat sink input, and take it in turns to lie in wait at 930 each night, ready to gulp the entire block of bloodworms, doesn't matter if it's still frozen.
My new trio (who have taken over the 4ft, not sure yet when/if the other three will join them) are JUST starting to learn that there will be food on/below the sacrificial altar, and that my ugly mug sticking around means that it's there. They may be silly, but they're not as dumb as some people think!
Good luck!

Skilly

Reaction score
cracking happens to really old tanks usually.... or mine when a heavy painting I was working on fell off my easel and smashed my tank....

Usually it is not a problem at all unless the tank was damaged somehow

Sykadelic

Reaction score
So I've been to PetSmart and found a tank I think I like. This one: Marineland® 46 Euro Style Bow Front Aquarium - Black - Fish - PetSmart I think the dimensions are okay but the stand on display looks different to the one in this pic. The tank is $199 and the stand is $159... so.. around $400 including tax. Do you think that's unreasonable?

The other thing I wanted to ask is my husband was thinking we could use the same sort of tanks we have our snakes in.. He was thinking the one attached (see the sharpie for size comparison). Aside from my issue with access for the filter... are those even waterproof enough for fish etc?

Oh and I had no joy finding a chiller at Petsmart or Petco. None of the staff I asked had heard of them and wanted to know why I needed one. There's one at a speciality store but at $500 I think I'll look around a bit more :S

Attachments

• P4080019.jpg
    P4080019.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 1,470
  • P4080020.jpg
    P4080020.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 461

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Chillers aren't very popular in the US. And in Iowa, I don't think you'll need one. It gets hot in the summer, but not for terribly long. You can always use other methods of cooling for the warm months. I'm a big fan of using the air conditioner to cool my tank (not that I get any enjoyment out of it, really!).

As for tanks, yes, you could use similar tanks to the ones the snakes are in. You just need to be mindful that you have an AQUARIUM versus a TERRARIUM. The glass is much thinner on terrariums, and if you fill it full of water, you could break it.

And Petsmart has $1 per gallon sales occasionally. The last one I remember hearing about was in August. They're not widely publicised, but rumor of them spreads like fire! You can ask your local petsmart when they're having one, and you can really make out like a bandit on a tank!

Sykadelic

Reaction score
Chillers aren't very popular in the US. And in Iowa, I don't think you'll need one. It gets hot in the summer, but not for terribly long. You can always use other methods of cooling for the warm months. I'm a big fan of using the air conditioner to cool my tank (not that I get any enjoyment out of it, really!).

As for tanks, yes, you could use similar tanks to the ones the snakes are in. You just need to be mindful that you have an AQUARIUM versus a TERRARIUM. The glass is much thinner on terrariums, and if you fill it full of water, you could break it.

And Petsmart has $1 per gallon sales occasionally. The last one I remember hearing about was in August. They're not widely publicised, but rumor of them spreads like fire! You can ask your local petsmart when they're having one, and you can really make out like a bandit on a tank!
The heat worries me a fair bit. We haven't had a summer in this house yet and we do have central air so I'm pretty confident we'll keep it under control but the last summer here in Iowa (the only one I've experienced) was ****. We were sleeping on the floor at a relatives house (waiting for the sale of our house to go through) and it was SO hot and humid. She only had a window unit and not even in the room we were in. I'm from Aus and heat doesn't normally bother me but damn! That humidity was insane. So I suppose worst case scenario I could buy a fan or put in the window unit (I bought that before I died in my sleep from heat exhaustion at the relatives place).

$1 per gallon you say? That would be AWESOME! Hmmm Okay I'm keeping my eye for that. I just googled and apparently there was one in Jan/Feb this year. I get their emails but rarely read them but apparently reading them I would have been advised of the sale... /sigh. Oh and Petco does it too so a forum said. Eyes peeled and waiting!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!