Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Reguritation... my waterdog threw up his worms

A

amber

Ack! My poor waterdog whom i just got to start eating teo days ago and has been doing fine since, just threw up his meal! I fed him two small earthworms just like ive done for the past two days only this time he seemed to have a bit of difficulty keeping them down but once they were down he made it obvious he wanted more although i did not give him more. afterwords he did this strange like yawning or burbing thing where he opened up his mouth really wide and after doing that a few times he threw up his worms. I got the worms outta the tank cause theyt were still alive and i didn't want them to get away. he tried to eat them while i was taking them out but just spit them back out again. I need to know is this normal? Should I try to feed the worms to him again? Hopefully one of you has the answer.

I

ian

I have just witnessed my new newt that I have "rescued" from pet shop. Exactly the same. But a few days later, it stared eating normal again. I want to know why as well.

J

joan

It might be overfeeding. If you've fed him worms for the past two days, he may not have digested them yet and just regurgitated the new food. Most caudates are opportunistic feeders, and will eat whenever food is present, regardless of whether or not they're 'hungry'.

The yawning may have been due to worm-slime. My abystomatids do this on occasion after a super-slimy meal.

A

amber

If it is overfeeding when do you think i should try feeding him again? (Also: the worms he threw up are still alive, so is it safe to offer the same worms to him another time?)

T

tyler

My newt did this too. I fed her half of a fat nightcrawler and then 3 days later one fourth of one. She spat up the fourth of one but then swallowed it a day later. I'm now switching to something smaller then nightcrawlers and feeding her a day less often until she has more of an appetite.

(Message edited by tyler_mcdowell on July 13, 2006)

I

ian

Yea. my problem came when I switched from trout worm to jumbo worm. I never know it take such a long time for them to digest food, several days.
happy.gif

J

jennifer

I would say wait a day or two, then try feeding again. If you can put the worms back in soil and they still look OK, it would be OK to feed it the same worms. The times that my newts have regurgitated, the worms looked mangled and/or dead, so I threw them away.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1