Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Earthworm question.

J

jack

Someone told me that "bait shop" earthworms had a high nitrate content and that they could be hazardous to amphibians. Is this correct? If so, could you change the substrate and feed properly, thus reversing the high nitrate problem?

J

jesper

I don't think a high nitrogen content in the food would be reflected in the nitrate levels. As far as I know all animals use urea as the carrier of excess nitrogen - the worms excrete their urea in their castings.

The problems seems to be that worm farmers spread pure urea into the substrate to increase the nitrogen content in the worm castings(which they sell as plant growth enhancer).

I'd say that homeostasis mechanisms will keep the total nitrogen levels in their body rather constant, if they load the substrate with too much urea they will most likely screw up the mechanisms at work resulting in intoxication and death.

J

jack

Thanks for the info, Jesper. So basically, there should be no problem with feeding worms from a bait shop?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!