Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Albino BullFrog Tadpoles

JoeTurtleKing

Reaction score
Hi, I just got three albino bullfrog tadpoles at the Hamburg show in Pennsylvania and i pick three that allready have very little back legs and would like to know if any one has a educated guess on how long after they start to get there back legs do they morph?

Any one that knows or has a educated geuss please let me know. They have been eatting. Ive been feeding them fish food flakes,algae disks, and spinach. They eat better then me as do all of my animals :p

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
Bullfrog tadpoles on average take around 2-3 years to morph, so given that they have back legs already I would say they only have about a year to go at most.

JoeTurtleKing

Reaction score
Bullfrog tadpoles on average take around 2-3 years to morph, so given that they have back legs already I would say they only have about a year to go at most.
Thanks for the info. I hope it dont thanks a year:eek: but i like them anyway although i would love to see the morph soon

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Since bullfrog tadpoles in captivity don't go through a winter slow down I would expect them to metamorphose much faster than in the wild. When they metamarphose you will have a big mouth to feed.
M.

JoeTurtleKing

Reaction score
Since bullfrog tadpoles in captivity don't go through a winter slow down I would expect them to metamorphose much faster than in the wild. When they metamarphose you will have a big mouth to feed.
M.
I hope they morph faster then in the wild i dont want to wait 2-3 years for them to become a frog. Ive raised bullfrogs from tadpoles befor but they morphed one and a half months later so i guess they where a year or two old already. I know all about big mouths to feed i got to feed my 40 pound sulcata tortoise and my self:tongue:

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
The one time I kept a bullfrog tadpole, it only took about 5 months from back legs to metamorphosis. One tadpole is not a rule though.

Neotenic_Jaymes

Reaction score
I've kept acouple bullfrogs and raised them from tadpoles. If your pollywog has back legs, then the front arms will start to sprout real soon. If you keep the temps in the mid 70's you'll a frog in about a month or so. Let me know which arm sprouts 1st, the left or the right. Make sure you have a place for the morphing tadpole to rest on outside the waters.

JoeTurtleKing

Reaction score
I've kept acouple bullfrogs and raised them from tadpoles. If your pollywog has back legs, then the front arms will start to sprout real soon. If you keep the temps in the mid 70's you'll a frog in about a month or so. Let me know which arm sprouts 1st, the left or the right. Make sure you have a place for the morphing tadpole to rest on outside the waters.
I will keep an eye out for what arm starts to form first in the front but why:confused: Just wanted to know. Does it have to do with what sex they will become or something?

JoeTurtleKing

Reaction score
Just to keep every one up to date the biggest tadpole now has webbed feet in the back but still no front legs hope fully soon and ill keep you guys/girls posted and will have some pictures soon. It is useing its back legs to swim now and doesnt use its tail as much.

clintosaur

Reaction score
It took one of my bullfrogs 1 1/2 months to grow his hind legs more, and get front legs. High temp and fed lots increases growth. Don't go higher than 23 degrees Celsius or below 20. Thats how I raised mine, but mind you yours might have had smaller legs when you got yours than when I got mine, and vice versa. Time will tell.

dennis

Reaction score
Idk I'm not certain but I believe in deeper colder water a bullfrog takes up to 2-3 years to morph but here in S Colo we have a lot a bull frogs and they take about 4 or 5 months from birth to fully morph while expose to shallow areas along the bank and water warm. I think nutrition may have something to do with it but I have literally raised hundreds a bullfrog tads in my life and everyone morphed in a couple months tops esp if you set them up with a tank with a dwindling water supply but provide a lot a detritus matter to eat.. I have however seen HUGE bullfrog tads n nature almost as round as a baseball! I believe these are mutants similar to the forever tads ya get raising dart frogs....of course what do I know our tiger sal larvae get huge and do not morph for years in cold deep water too. especially in mountain streams in ponds. I've caught them on a hook with a worm fishing that were as big or bigger than most adult axolotls........amphibians are strange that is why I dig them.

peace
dennis

dennis

Reaction score
also buyer be wise. I have seen albino bullfrog tads just yesterday locally for 1 dollar each

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
That is a fantastic price for a normal bullfrog tadpole. It is odd that they would be selling albino ones that cheap.

dennis

Reaction score
we got a lot a bullfrogs in soco;
normal tads are sold as feeders for 15 cents each same as large feeder goldfish but way bigger ....Im always tempted for my fatso redfin cat but I don't wanna introduce chytrid if I can avoid it cuz I share aquarium plants with my other newts n axolotls adfs n what not plus when I GET MY CHINESE GIANTS can't be too careful lmao...................Most the bullfrog population are carriers just immune imho......everywhere they get to say goodbye to the different NATIVE leopard frogs species n tiger salamanders here. I think it even effects our toads cuz I see less n less every season, but more and more bullfrogs.........an introduced ASIAN species pest........us naturalists in Colo are not too fond a bullfrogs out a koi ponds. Id just rather alligators get introduced.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!