Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: The sex of my Axolotl?

Severance

Reaction score
Hi all! An axie I received from an awesome breeder on this site it growing well and has gotten much larger than when he/she arrived.

I was even debating getting another in the future, but I'd like to avoid babies so I'm trying to determine the sex of my current lotl.

I know the usual methods for determining sex, but I'd like to know what you guys think. Is he/she even old enough to be sexed (I don't know the exact age)? Which sex do you think he/she is?

Thanks in advance!

Video of him/her:

https://www.facebook.com/eryn.esch/videos/930174103746303/?l=201422240672794062

RupertxGiles

Reaction score
It would definitely be helpful to get some better angles, and closeups...but from that video alone I would say you have quite a pretty female. Gorgeous axie by the way, the fluffy gills are beautiful. I also see you have a barebottom tank and appear to be feeding earthworms. You are off to a great start!

Petersgirl

Reaction score
I agree, she looks like a little lady to me, but then she might be a boy who has yet to bloom (I thought two axolotls I gave to another person were both boys, but they turned out to be male and female, so it can happen).

She is gorgeous! Well done to both yourself and the breeder - those gills are to die for! I'm also quite partial to Leucys anyway (please don't tell my WT or Goldie), and she is a stunner.

Severance

Reaction score
Thank you both kindly! She (I'm going to go with that for now) has been growing so fast since I started her on the bigger worms not long ago. :happy:

I keep trying to get better pictures but unless it's feeding time she doesn't seem to want to be in front of the camera.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1