Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

What’s your favorite type of Taricha?

What’s your favorite type of Taricha?

• California Newt

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Rough Skinned Newt

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • Mazama Newt

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Sierra Newt

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Red Bellied Newt

Votes: 9 45.0%

• Total voters

sde

Reaction score
All of them. I keep two of the Taricha species and they are both cool. I’ve also seen the other two species that I don’t keep. Taricha in general are a great genus, I can’t choose just one.

T. g. mazamae isn’t a legitimate subspecies. There are animals with dark markings found at various areas throughout the Cascade mountain range in Oregon and Washington, and elsewhere. Most scientists don’t consider it a ssp anymore for that reason. In reality, T. granulosa with dark markings aren’t all that uncommon. I’ve found plenty of them, and know of populations that have a high number of dark marked individuals (outside of Crater Lake).

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
I am partial to granulosa, mainly as it's the only ones I have :happy:

Attachments

• 20171207_132320.jpg
    20171207_132320.jpg
    500.4 KB · Views: 243
Last edited:

Methos5K

Reaction score
I also keep two species, torosa and rivularis. My group of torosa went aquatic when I got them and have stayed that way ever since. I have them in one of my larger display tanks; and I love to watch them "waddle-swim" around. Definitely one of my favorite species to watch.

Rivularis are damn beautiful looking; but also are one of the most secretive animals I keep. And I keep caecilians. Once in a blue moon I will catch them out looking to take a quick dip in the water dish or grab at bug; but otherwise it is a large tank with cork bark and moss in it. :D

otolith

Reaction score
Rivularis followed by Torosa for me. I grew up herping for them, love hiking the remote and rugged areas favored by T. rivularis. I do think Torosa are a lot more engaging to keep but both species are some of the easiest larvae I've ever raised.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!