Help identifying salamanders

seano96x

Reaction score
Country
United States
I found a bunch of these guys in my pool today, (it’s a non chlorinated pool) and am wondering what kind of salamander they are. I live in Massachusetts if that helps. They’re very small (about 2-3 inches at most)
NReAsB0

THey do look a lot like redbacks but what are they doing in a pool? Could they be some similar looking kind of salamander? Eurycea?

I'm guessing that it rained, which causes the salamanders to move around. I imagine that they were out roaming and they just stumbled into the pool.

It has rained the past couple days, whenever it rains in the fall/spring I check the pool the next morning and find a bunch at the bottom because they cant get out after. Actually ended up finding a total of 16 of them in there the past couple days. I let most go and kept the biggest two. I was concerned my marbled salamander would eat them but they actually seem to get along quite well. During the spring I usually find three toed salamanders in there.

If you are going to keep some of the redbacks, definitely do not keep them with your other salamanders. They will be injured and/or eaten by the marbleds.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back