Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

NC Press: Make way for the waterdog

W

wes

<u>NEWS-RECORD </u>(Greensboro, N Carolina) 23 April 07 Make way for the waterdog
Legislators in the state House last week overwhelmingly voted to name the American bullfrog as North Carolina's state amphibian. If the Senate concurs, it's a done deal.
But with all due respect to the enterprising fourth-graders from Plymouth, who came up with the idea, we're throwing our weight behind the Neuse River Waterdog -- a brown salamander with black spots that only makes its home in the basins of the Neuse and Tar rivers.
Its status as a Tar Heel original aside, this 'dog should win votes on its cool name alone.
http://www.news-record.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070423/NEWSREC010201/704230301/1014

K

kristen

Myself as well as a few members of my lab around Charlotte have all written letters asking them to consider other species besides the bullfrog. So many other cool species occur in NC, and even some that are endemic to NC. To name the state amphibian the bullfrog seems silly.

N

nic

Yes, very silly. A state should only list a species as a state species if it is endemic to the state or if the species is found mostly there and no where else. This is where state pride comes from! What is going on? Bull frogs are found everywhere. Do these people have their heads... that they can't even see what their doing? I mean come on, what is this all coming to? You have my moral support to do whatever it takes so that these brainless bureaucrats act in the interest of able minds. Next thing you know all the government buildings will be named after every politician that ever comes in office and use your state tax dollar to do it......oh, wait, they already are doing that. WAKE UP AMERICA and PUT YOUR FEET DOWN ALREADY.

ryan

Reaction score
They should really pick the Neuse River Waterdog! This species is only found in North Carolina!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!