Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Yay - Xenopus eggs!!

SnakeDancer

Reaction score
Update: by now there are only 5 who are still sort-of tadpoles - that is, they have legs, but still have the tadpole-shaped filter-feeding head and long flickering tail. The rest are all little froglets. They've been eating whiteworms, blackworms, and chopped earthworms, and in the last couple of days I've started giving them dried krill and dried bloodworms so they get used to coming to the surface and eating non-live food. They're taking to it very well! Though I prefer to feed live prey when I can, I know that new owners may prefer the convenience of dried or frozen/thawed foods, so I want them to be accustomed to a variety.

The parents get earthworms, blackworms, feeder fish, garden grubs, maggots, mealworms, waxworms, superworms (frozen/thawed and chopped in half), the occasional pinkie mouse, and the occasional piece of freeze-dried tubifex cube. I'm probably forgetting something, even. I give them whatever I have on hand easily. They are not finnicky. :)

vincent

Reaction score
yo my last clawedfrog update got 36 small but growing fast frogs ,my son was given a red eared slider that was in need of a home, so he joined the family. However he was in a bit of a state so he was the reason for the demise of 100 plus tads:rolleyes: The babies are growing fast and they will be sold on to a few people. I will spawn the adults again in a few weeks to keep the terrapin in fresh food . I raised the tads from eggs to small frogs without changing the water once :eek:, so liquifry saves time aswell plus I got some really big tadpoles.
HAVE FUN:D

SnakeDancer

Reaction score
Haven't updated in a while ... little frogs are doing well, they're about 1 inch long now (not counting extended hind legs), and devouring whiteworms, blackworms, chopped earthworms, maggots, and ReptoMin.

Two somehow managed to jumped out of the basin and I found them dried up on the floor. :( So the final post-metamorphosis count ended up to be 27.

I sold about half of them at a local swap meet earlier in the month, put 4 aside to keep for myself (at least until they're old enough to be sexable, and then will probably only keep 1 pair), and still have a few left for sale/trade.

Let's see if I can figure out how to post some pics:

frogs1.jpg

frogs2.jpg

frogs3.jpg

frogs4.jpg

frogs5.jpg

vincent

Reaction score
Really good to see you managed to get a few out, had a major foobar with mine, filled their tank up with water but used wrong water can, had plant food in for the wifes' veg it might make your plants grow but it doesn;t do anything for frogs lost 50% of them still the terrapin liked them. It also caused my treefrog tads to get bent tails but I sorted them out, they are coming through seemingly ok :uhoh: HAVE FUN

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1