Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Rhyacotriton (Torrent Salamanders)?

Aneides

Reaction score
Where is the best place to post about Rhyacotriton sp.? I've looked all over the forum and don't know the best place to post about Rhyacotriton. I know they are not well known, but there has to be some place to post on them.

Aneides

FrogEyes

Reaction score
Given that they lack a family subforum of their own, the appropriate place would probably be the parent forum - Species Genus and Family.

They're neat critters. I've found three of the four named species so far, but I also need to find the likely unnamed forms and fringe populations.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
And Voila! Through the wonders of moderation, you're the very first thread in the new section!

FrogEyes

Reaction score
John - Rhyacotriton are not cousins of Ambystoma and Dicamptodon. All current data place them closer to Amphiumidae and Plethodontidae.

The four named and possibly 4-5 unnamed species are restricted to icy clean mountain streams of the Pacific Northwest. Their speciation has been impacted by the carving and shifting of a millions-of-years-old river, the rise and eruptions of SEVERAL volcanos, AND repeated floods of lava hundreds of meters deep which covered state-sized areas before flowing into the Pacific. The type locality for R.cascadae is actually IN that basalt, where it has been carved through by that very river, more or less at the foot of one of those volcanos. [Wahkeena Falls, Columbia River Gorge, Larch Mountain/Mt. Hood]

Aneides

Reaction score
Thanks for creating an entire new section for Rhyacotriton! They are an awesome genus and I can't wait for more people to start posting.

Aneides

Neotenic_Jaymes

Reaction score
Awesome! Hopefully people with knowledge on this species can share their experiences and wisdom. Wasn't long ago when I came across this species in a article about salamanders of the northwest.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1