Axolotl swallowed rocks

MinnieMuu

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Hello i got my first axolotl about a month ago. The pet store owner told me gravel and small rocks was juuust fine, nothing to worry about, so sadly i trusted him. Right now i'm furious at him as my axolotl has obviously swallowed a few small rocks. I can see atleast one clearly in his/her stomach as it is see-through. We quickly removed the stones. This morning i wake up to see two small rocks laying on the bottom so i'm hoping he pooped them out. But i'm still scared they were left over stones we forgot. Is fridging a good idea in this situation since i heard it slows down his metabolism, while i want him to pass the stones. Also i'm giving him frozen blood worms, right now i wont trust any pet store owner and would like to get tips from the experts. Are blood worms fine to feed him? Also how many times a week? (He/she is almost a month old)

If it's a month or two old, I would offer food daily. Are you able to post a photo of the axolotl and the tank setup? Here's a guide to posting photos to the forum: http://www.caudata.org/forum/f1-gen...hnical-not-newts/55492-how-post-pictures.html .

If the axolotl is eating well and pooping okay (it has passed two stones already, so pooping doesn't seem to be a problem) I wouldn't fridge it. Hopefully, it will pass the other stones as readily as it did the previous, but bear in mind that it is not unheard of for an axolotl to retain gravel in its gut for an extended period of time, so be patient - it could be months before it passes them (it took one of mine six months to pass a pebble!).

Has the axolotl been eating okay? If not, please provide as much detail as you can.

Frozen blood worm is okay, but I wouldn't recommend it as a staple. Here's a good guide to plan your axolotl's menu: Caudata Culture Articles - Food Items for Captive Caudates

Welcome to the forum :happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back