Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New Slate Bottom Axolotl Tank!

Tom Highum

Reaction score
How long does it take for the gills to grow back? Where did you get the shrimp?

nickjwes

Reaction score
How long does it take for the gills to grow back? Where did you get the shrimp?

For my Golden Albino it took may be 2 weeks for his one gill to grow back. As for Harvey, He wont ever grow gills on the right side. I guess it's just a genetic defect but I've had him almost 6 months maybe and he still hasn't shown any growth in his right gills. As for the shrimp they are Ghost Shrimp which are pretty available on the web and in most pet shops as feeders. I generally get them at a specialty fish shop near me called The Hidden Reef and they're like 5/$1.00 which is nice when they tend to get eaten from time to time.

I finally snapped a shot of Harvey so here it is (and a few others of course-please bear with the mess):
4016179050_5b5a0ac907.jpg

Harvey (His right gill is missing)
4016179660_26c54fe774.jpg

Caught him in plain sight. He likes to hide. Clear view of his missing right gills.
4016179262_7b624a64db.jpg

Of course I have to include the other two.
4016179464_a9d4a345b1.jpg

Golden Albino

I want to give credit to Michael Shromm as all of these axolotls were purchased from him and are amazing and healthy specimens. Thanks!

Coastal Groovin

Reaction score
This is a great idea but I don't see why you would have to glue these tiles down. Their weight should be enough to keep them down flat with the glass. Any waste that got under would be minimal. and easy enough to remove.

gilbertjelly

Reaction score
Hi
Your tank is amazing :smile:
I love it
I'm thinking i might try something similar
hope you don't mind me copying some of your ideas
My tank is 60cm long x 30 wide x 45 height i'm not sure how many litres that is?
Before you mentioned about the load on the tank do you think that my tank will be ok to put in a slate bottom?
I noticed that in your earlier photos was a shrimp i've have also been thinking i'd like to put some in with my axie how do you find them together?

thanks
Gilbertjelly

nickjwes

Reaction score
This is a great idea but I don't see why you would have to glue these tiles down. Their weight should be enough to keep them down flat with the glass. Any waste that got under would be minimal. and easy enough to remove.

The reason I silicone-ed them around the edges was because they weren't a perfect fit. I also did it because I wanted ti to be a permanent fix. The slate tiles can also easily chip from the edges and they would ideally need to be ground down on the edges since they can be decently sharp. Using the silicone keeps them solid in place and covers the edges. As for wast and such I like to keep it to a minimal so that I don't have to at some point get under the tiles and clean (they're not perfectly flat or square- they have ridges, meant for gluing them to floors, on the bottom where stuff could collect).

Hi
Your tank is amazing :smile:
I love it
I'm thinking i might try something similar
hope you don't mind me copying some of your ideas
My tank is 60cm long x 30 wide x 45 height i'm not sure how many litres that is?
Before you mentioned about the load on the tank do you think that my tank will be ok to put in a slate bottom?
I noticed that in your earlier photos was a shrimp i've have also been thinking i'd like to put some in with my axie how do you find them together?

thanks
Gilbertjelly

As for your tank, I'm sure it would be fine because your tank is approximately 20 US gallons so it would require about 40 pounds of gravel and the tiles will weigh less than that. The only thing you may have to worry about is cutting them to fit, but you could always overlap them or something. As far as the shrimp with my axolotls, they seem to do fine only thing is the axolotls like to eat them (which is fine with me). They seem to entertain the axolotls especially when the axies try to sneak up on them for a quick snack. They are pretty cool to watch.

gilbertjelly

Reaction score
Hi
Thanks for the great info
I'll have to get some shrimp
i've seen shrimp here they look very similar to the one in your photo
called glass shrimp
Thanks again :happy:

keq

Reaction score
Wow, that is amazing! After 2 months and 2 rounds of substrate changes I am considering this option. I don't plan to silicone mine down though as I will need to sell this tank and get a larger one in about a year. Do you think it would work for me to just put silicone around the sharp edges on the tiles and then add the tiles to the tank once the silicone has cured?

Thanks,
Kori

SeanB

Reaction score
Wow this looks so good!
The only thing i dont like is the plants, I dont know how i would keep my plants down.
Even if i bought the ones with the weight to them, it still doesnt look that great.
Maybe i should silcone it down or something.
I have Moon Sand and i think its a pain.
The slate looks great and i LOVE IT!

Great Tank

nickjwes

Reaction score
Hey thanks, sorry havent been on here in a little while, glad to hear people are still appreciating my tank, I\As far as the plants go I drilled holes in the very very very dense mopani wood and rooted them in there and they seem to take on their own from there- I have to get some new pictures up because the moss is starting to grow all by itself and the Wood is looking better.

e23ho

Reaction score
Hey there - I am at my wit's end with trying to find a substrate that works for me and my axies, which are currently living in buckets waiting for their new tank to be ready (just moved back home and although I have a 55 that I just vacated it's currently full of gravel - but I will be using cycled water from there to start them off)!

I love the slate idea, and if I can combine part of my tank slate and the other part "glued down" sand and river rocks I think it would look awesome. HOWEVER, the tank is not mine and I can't glue anything to it. How would the folks here suggest accomplishing this? I'm wondering if I use plexiglass or something to glue the substrate to then lower it into the tank, would that work or would waste just get into the sides and sit underneath the plexi?

AWESOME TANK btw :)!

Ryanne

Reaction score
Is this the right stuff?

Attachments

• 1481937814057698522188.jpg
    1481937814057698522188.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 447

georgiarh10

Reaction score
Wow, this looks amazing! I really thought about a slate bottom for my tank, but I never got around to it, so I have sand instead. I might use slate for my quarantine tank... we will see!

Has anyone got a substrate in their quarantine tank? I just think bare-bottom is so boring..! but easy to keep clean which is a necessary bonus for a quarantine tank, I suppose.

Really great work, your tank looks awesome, and the new pictures with the wood centrepiece are incredible! Did you buy the wood with the plants on it already?

mojester

Reaction score
Hi, I'm still doing a lot of research before getting an axolotl. I love the idea of slate on the bottom instead of sand. I think you said you didn't put silicone on the bottom of the tiles, is that correct? How did you attach the tile to the bottom of the tank?

Thank you.:happy:

Lupejkis

Reaction score
Looks great, how did you know the slate was safe? I went and looked at some but, got overwhelmed. I was worried I would pick the wrong one.

nickjwes

Reaction score
Hi, I'm still doing a lot of research before getting an axolotl. I love the idea of slate on the bottom instead of sand. I think you said you didn't put silicone on the bottom of the tiles, is that correct? How did you attach the tile to the bottom of the tank?

Thank you.:happy:
You don’t need to silicone under or around them but I did and it seems to be good still after years.

nickjwes

Reaction score
Looks great, how did you know the slate was safe? I went and looked at some but, got overwhelmed. I was worried I would pick the wrong one.

I got the idea from really old tanks that used to come with a slate bottom and metal frames.

I went with the cheap basic lowes slate tile and they even cut them down for me. I don’t know if they still do that though

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1