Aquarium salt and aquatic frogs

P

paul

Hi I keep African Dwarf frogs with goldfish. The frogs have thrived for 2.5 years but all my goldfish have died. I am considering treating the water with aquarium salt to eliminate any parasites but don't know if ADFs tolerate aquarium salt. Does anyone know if its safe to do so? thanks Paul

I am not an expert in this, not I think amphibian have semi-permeable skin that if the water became more dense, say higher concentration of salt, than the body of the amphibian, the water will transfer out of the amphibian's body.

I dont know the result of it, but I dont think it worths it to have such a risk.

If you're worried about parasites, remove the frogs and do a full tank clean with salt or whatever other disinfectant you deem necessary.

In general unless the salt concentration becomes too excessive the amphibian can readily regulate thier osmotic potential however salt will only affect a few of the potential parasites.

Just keep in mind that if you strip down the tank then you will have to recycle the tank.

Ed

Most times a little salt in the water won't harm your frogs. I agree with Ed in that it isn't a good way to get rid of parasites. I live in a soft water area and I add about a teaspoon of salt per gallon to make the water harder for fish that need harder water. My dwarf frogs do better in harder water.
Mark

I think I will add half the dose to the tank. Don't want to move the frogs and tank will have been fish free for 3 weeks when I add more so hopefully and bad bugs may have died off. Thanks for all the input Paul

Hello,
ADCFs (Hymenochirus) have no problem with a little bit of salt.
But ADCFs are tropical and goldfish not. So it is not recommend to keep them together.

Bye Martin

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back