Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Native British Frogs

D

dawn

Can anyone tell me how many frog species there are in the wild in Britain? Specifically Scotland. I can only really find info on the common frog but I found a frog in my garden pond this weekend and I don't think it looked like the pictures I've seen on the net. It was quite a bright green with some black markings (although I admit I only got a quick look at it before it submerged itself again).

Is it possible that I saw anything other than a common frog? Are there any other wild frogs in this country?

Thanks

A

abrahm

According to a quick Google search their are six amphibian species native to Scotland: the great crested newt (Triturus cristatus); smooth newt (Triturus vulgaris); palmate newt (Triturus helveticus); common toad (Bufo bufo); natterjack toad (Bufo calamita) and common frog (Rana temporaria).

The only anurans are obviously the two toads and the common frog. I've heard stories of american bullfrogs, Rana catesbeiana, becoming an invasive species in England, but I don't know about Scotland. Try googling a picture of an American bullfrog to see if that's your culprit.

D

dawn

definately not the american bullfrog. I think it must be a common frog, just a particularly bright green colour. I was quite pleased to find it in my pond
happy.gif
I hope it stays. I'll have to try and get some pics to show
happy.gif

simon

Reaction score
Dawn,

As far as I'm aware, the bullfrog is only present in South Eastern England. The marsh frog R.ridibunda, the pool frog R.lessonae and the edible frog R.esculenta are also found in England. After doing a little more browsing, I doubt any of these three species could be found in Scotland. The marsh frog appears to be spreading fairly quickly but is still limited to the South East, as is the Edible frog. The pool frog was only rehomed in England (Norwich) last year. It's remotely possible its someones released pet but seems likely its the common frog. If you see it again, try taking a picture to put on here so someone can confirm it.

T

tom

If it is large and green it is probably a marsh or pool frog and if it has a yellow stripe on its back then it will be a edible frog.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1