Mysterious growth..

lims

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Sam
Has anyone seen this before?, it's actually quite incredible when looked at closely, you cannot see the full extent of the cappillaries from this photo...

Attachments

• DSC00568.JPG
    DSC00568.JPG
    84.6 KB · Views: 417
Is that growing on the glass? Weird!

I had that kind of fungus growing in my terrestrial tank when i had fire salamanders and even in my terrestrial tank for the marms when they were younger. Have never seen it underwater though. If it has anything to do with the one i had it will suddenly stop growing, become yellowish and decay...

Looks like a leaf thats rotted away but left the internal "vein" like structure.

I can asure you, it was no leaf.
Overnight it moved a foot across the tank...
Well I suspect one part died followed by another flourishing further along...

I hope it doesn't envelop my hongkongensis and devour them..

I get that commonly in the big water bath i use to keep various tubs of newt larvae at the same temperature. It appears very quickly, even after being scrubbed off!

it looks like a slime mold, plasmodium stage. I mostly know terrestrial ones, but they organize and move themselves the way you describe.

I agree with the slime mold. I didn't know they were aquatic though! Kind of pretty.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back