Substrate question

spyke

Ambystoma Enthusiast
Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
J
For all those who use sand in their tanks (aquatic or otherwise), what have you found to be the most effective method for washing it?

Standard gravel vacuumes work fine. Depending on the grade of the sand you may need to decrease the flow so you do not suck up too much sand. You can do so with your finger over the outflow or you can buy an inert plastic screw clamp from companies like Cole Parmer or Fischer Scientific to decrease the flow. Either way it will be fairly easy.

Standard gravel vacuumes work fine. Depending on the grade of the sand you may need to decrease the flow so you do not suck up too much sand. You can do so with your finger over the outflow or you can buy an inert plastic screw clamp from companies like Cole Parmer or Fischer Scientific to decrease the flow. Either way it will be fairly easy.

One caution if you use sand though..... Be carefull not to make it too deep. A sand bed deeper than 1.5 or so inches will allow the bottom layer to get anerobic and though that in and of itself is not a bad thing (it is actually quite beneficial) the intrusion of the gravel vac for cleaning can allow the release of Hydrogen Silfite (de?) gas which can be harmfull. The solution is to only spot clean the surface but that can lead to the sand becomming a nutrient sink and releasing dangerous levels of waste materials into the water. I know, lots of answer to a collateral question. Sorry.

1/2" to 1" will be fine

Hmmm

One reply and a split post. Perhaps my laptop has the gumpus.

Excellent answer(s), Guy. I'm wondering if Jason is asking how to clean the sand in the tank, or how to clean new sand before putting it into the tank? If you're talking about brand new sand, I put it into a 5-gallon bucket and go through a long series of vigorous swirl/dump/refill until the water runs totally clear.

Actually, you're right, Jennifer. I was asking how to clean new sand. But Guy's answers will be useful if i decide to use sand. This is all assuming that I ever decide what it is I want to house. I'm still leaning toward a terrestrial species, but you never know.

To elaborate on MrIGuy’s answer… There are ways to eliminate this “nutrient sink” issue…

1. Get root feeding plants like Swords
2. Introduce MTS(Malaysian Trumpet Snails) to your tank/vavarium, they borrow in the sand and keep the sand nice and Hydrogen Sulfite free.

Use both in my freshwater aquarium tank that has a sand substrate, been running for a year and I have no trouble so far…

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back