Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Substrate Question for Tiger Salamander

Rothman

Reaction score
Hey everyone I recently bought a Barred Tiger Salamander and setup it's tank and everything. I thought I researched everything but I just read that you shouldn't use Peat Moss? I have him in moist peat moss now but I will be changing it later on today if it's alright. The Caudata Culture care sheet says it's too low in PH and creates Ion loss, in turn kills it? I never thought of that! Is that true and I should switch it out?

Thanks for any help. :)

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I use a mixture of topsoil and coco fiber for mine. It facilitates burrowing better than peat, and doesn't have the highly variable (and often low) pH problems that come with peat.

Jan

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hey everyone I recently bought a Barred Tiger Salamander and setup it's tank and everything. I thought I researched everything but I just read that you shouldn't use Peat Moss? I have him in moist peat moss now but I will be changing it later on today if it's alright. The Caudata Culture care sheet says it's too low in PH and creates Ion loss, in turn kills it? I never thought of that! Is that true and I should switch it out?

Thanks for any help. :)

Here is a recent discussion on the pH issue:
http://www.caudata.org/forum/showthread.php?t=50568

Like Kaysie, I use coco-fiber or topsoil without any additives or a combo of both for my tigers.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!