changing substrate

sdhuz36

Axolotl Enthusiast
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Sharon
I currently have my axies on large river stones, looking at changing the substrate to coral sand, is this OK?

Cheers
Sharon

Attachments

• Ancalagon the black and Chimera.JPG
    Ancalagon the black and Chimera.JPG
    33.2 KB · Views: 273
No I think it will mess with ph. You can use pool filter sand or play sand.

Karrie is right, coral sand will raise the pH and hardness of the water over time which can lead to problems when you do water changes.

Your best bet is pool filter sand which can be obtained from any decent pool and spa store as this is less dusty and requires little cleaning before being used. Play sand can be obtained from any home improvement store (Lowes, Home Depot, Menards) but is very dusty and dirty and needs to be washed quite thoroughly before use.

Thanks guys, that makes sense, coral sand is alkaline, I went to this aquarium and they said the same as you; they advised me to get aquarium sand and rinse it thoroughly. Ancalagon and Chimera are enjoying their new surroundings. I bought a water testing kit for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH, as my little mates were not looking too happy; it's all good now.

Cheers

Sharon

I've used pool filter sand for years with no problems.

You can also pick up sand at any hardware store. It's pretty cheap from there. You just need to wash it first.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back