Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Damp paper as substrate

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I kept my marmoratus on this for some time and it made things a lot eassier, so i was wondering if this would also be ok for o_Ophryticus juvies.
Right now i have them with soil(rather dry), and though they are doing ok, i´m having problems with the soil sticking to the food. I feed them on a piece of plastic sheet, but sometimes they manage to foul the food with dirt anyway. Even with the fruitflies they sometimes take tinny bits.
I know this species likes it dry, but i´d like to know if anyone has had success with paper towels. If they are just slightly damp and not wet they should be ok, wouldn´t they?

coendeurloo

Reaction score
Not sure if it would be suitable. But you could stack some pieces of corkbark to provide dry places on top of the damp paper towels. I've added some damp moss to my tank recently and they sit in that all the time nowadays.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I was thinking of adding a flat rock in on side(to serve as dry surface), and of course providing several hides, both on the paper towels and on the rock. my guess is that they will choose what they prefer. But since i´ve always seen them in the most humid part of their tank(where the little humidity left condensates) i´m guessing slightly damp is not that bad for them, they actually seem to seek humidity...
I´m concerned about the skin problems though that´s why i was asking if anyone had experience with this.... I think if i don´t solve the problem of soil and food soon i´ll try the paper towels(obviously providing excelent ventilation).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1