Substrate for FBN tank?

ladygwenever

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Merissa Swenson
Ok I have had FBN for years now, and have ALWAYS used AQUARIUM GRAVEL, for the substrate. I have kept many different types of exotic fish and used a wide variety of gravel's and sands. I was wondering if I could use a FINE SAND in my newt tank. I do have a use with little blackworms getting into the gravel and staying there for a long time, I thought if I used sand that this would reduce that drastically. Not to mention I believe that sand looks better too:). I was affraid to go ahead and do it, cause i wnated to make sure that it won't hurt my little newtys, or make them sick.

Thoroughly washed playsand or pool filter sand is fine to use as substrate in your newt tank. I would avoid using the pet store "calcium" sand as it affects the pH.

I use pool filter sand in several of my newt tanks. In terms of hiding blackworms, it won't be a huge improvement. The blackworms are quite able to burrow into it. I recommend using a thin layer (half an inch or less).

There is a very fine grade of sand that a lot of reef folks like (those that like sand) called Southdown Tropical play sand. It is pure white and very fine. Home Despot carries it, or did in the past. I have used it in many applications and like it a lot. Don't add it to any tank that has live animals in it as it will cloud the water for 24 hours till it settles.

This may sound WEIRD but none of you would know if I COULD put this in a HATCHLING Turtle tank? (western painted)

Not WEIRD, but you might have better luck asking on a turtle forum.;)

Substrate for Firebelly Newts

There is a very fine grade of sand that a lot of reef folks like (those that like sand) called Southdown Tropical play sand. It is pure white and very fine. Home Despot carries it, or did in the past. I have used it in many applications and like it a lot. Don't add it to any tank that has live animals in it as it will cloud the water for 24 hours till it settles.

Last month I started a small tank for a Chinese FBN. Initially I used a fine aquarium gravel, disregarding the possibility they might ingest some. Anyway it was very lethargic the first couple of weeks, not going in the water, refusing FD/tublifex or FD/Shrimp. He may have been stressed as he was he was housed alone with a small turtle at the petstore. A couple of weeks later I added a second FBN, slightly larger and very active. At the same time started feeding frozen blood worms and what a difference. Both are now very active, mostly aquatic and always looking for food.
Back to substrate . . .
I noticed that when eating they sometimes were picking up pieces of the aquarium gravel and spitting it out. Realizing the potential of them swallowing this fine gravel, I immeditaly replaced this gravel with a larger size. Too large to fit in the FBN's mouth, but I don't like it as much as it does not hold down and allow plants to root as well as the finer grade.
I would have loved to use sand, it is my favourite for my chiclids.
Question?
Wouldn't I be running the same risk of ingesting the medium had I used sand?

From my understanding yes they can swallow the sand, but because it is so fine it can pass through the animals digestive tract without harming the animal.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back