Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Tank size and soil substrate for two?

qaz

Reaction score
Hi,
I've been asked to look after two unwanted axies (nieces no longer interested but they had them for at least a year which is good going for them). They will be arriving in a tank 49cm long x 30 high and 28 deep (not a standard size then). Read on forum the 60cms at least is recommended but will the tank I'm inheriting suffice?

Also, I have 2 planted fish tanks in which I use an underlayer of soil- known as 'el natural' planted tanks. Would a substrate of soil then a layer of sand in a new tank be unsuitable for axolotyls?

Finally, transporting axies? In a large bucket of their existing tank water? Plus I plan on using a filter: the axies have never had filtered tank water will the change in conditions be a shock to their system as I know fish are sensitive to water parameters changing?

Thank you

gr33neyes

Reaction score
The tank you are getting with them is not in my opinion big enough for 2 fully grown adult axolotls. The main concern is the floor length. I have my 2 in a tank just a few inches short of 3 foot.

I'm not sure about the soil substrate under the sand as I have never used sand and soil together but bear in mind that the sand needs to be cleaned well with axolotls in the tank as they are messy and they may churned up the sand and soil whilst snuffling for food.

I can't see a problem with introducing a filter to the tank, just make sure its turned down to lowest setting if you can as they don't like a lot of water movement, it stesses them.

As for transporting them a large bucket should be fine. Personally if it was me I would place a large black bin liner in the bucket and then put the water in that. It will keep the axolotls in darkness (reducing stress hopefully) and then you can tie the bin liner up so that water cant escape.

ali000

Reaction score
just to add

If you are planning on planting live plants then you will have a confliction of interest, in that the plants will require light and the axolotls dont like too much light.

gr33neyes

Reaction score
Ali that wouldn't be too much of a problem as long as plenty of hides are incorporated into the tank, besides the plants would also provide cover from light.
One problem with live plants is they tend to get uprooted by axolotls as they move around the tank.
I've got a plastic plant floating around in my tank at the moment from the night time axolotl activity last night, they really don't care if its in their way, just ram it out of the way.

qaz

Reaction score
Thanks so much for the advice everyone.

I'm looking forward to the new arrivals. I'll get a longer tank and put the plant plans on hold until I'm used to looking after the axies and creating a safe environment with hides.

Great tip about the black bag in the bucket (mine is white)- thanks.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!