Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

where can I find sand for substrate?

koala

Asian Newt Group
Reaction score
If I wanted to use sand as the substrate in my newt tank, could I get sand from my yard, or would I have to go to the pet store and buy expensive fish sand? Also, would it eventually settle to the bottom of the tank?

koala

Asian Newt Group
Reaction score
Oh, and one more thing. Would there be a chance that my newt would ingest some of the sand accidentally? What is the safest and easiest to clean substrate? Thanks! :eek:

gumbii

Reaction score
i use home depot play sand... just make sure it's 100% silica sand, and wash it out really really good... in my 200g, 100g, 60g, 30g, 25g, and now my 20g palladium all have play sand... the plants love it, and it looks great... just make sure it doesn't get into the filter system some how...

there is some other stuff that aquarist look for, it's called colorquartz and it's made by 3M... it's heavier and comes in a bunch of different colors... but it's hard to come buy... some swimming pool building places carry that sand... and it ranges from $20-$30 per 50lb bag... but playsand is about $5 a 50lb bag... so it's all up to you...

good luck...

MelanieK

Reaction score
i use home depot play sand... just make sure it's 100% silica sand, and wash it out really really good... in my 200g, 100g, 60g, 30g, 25g, and now my 20g palladium all have play sand... the plants love it, and it looks great... just make sure it doesn't get into the filter system some how...

there is some other stuff that aquarist look for, it's called colorquartz and it's made by 3M... it's heavier and comes in a bunch of different colors... but it's hard to come buy... some swimming pool building places carry that sand... and it ranges from $20-$30 per 50lb bag... but playsand is about $5 a 50lb bag... so it's all up to you...

good luck...

I googled the colorquartz. It appears to come in 2 forms, A fine form and a course form. Wonder which people use for aquariums?

koala

Asian Newt Group
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone; I just found some sand today. It's aquarium sand from Petco, and I just finished updating my tank. :dizzy: I'll be posting pics of it soon!

MelanieK

Reaction score
Thanks, everyone; I just found some sand today. It's aquarium sand from Petco, and I just finished updating my tank. :dizzy: I'll be posting pics of it soon!

I have read here that aquarium sand is often geared towards use in salt water tanks. May be very salty.

koala

Asian Newt Group
Reaction score
I've got my tank all set up again, but it's been several hours and it's not completely settled. My newt's doing fine in it, but do you know how I can get the sand to completely settle to the bottom so the water's not cloudy and I can run the filter?

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Any new sand must be rinsed (and rinsed, and rinsed, and rinsed...) before putting it into an aquarium. To really do this right, you're going to have to take the sand back out, put it into a bucket, and 'rinse & swirl' repeatedly until the water is totally clear. Then put it back into the tank, and also change the water to get rid of the cloudiness. Sorry, I know this isn't what you wanted to hear.:uhoh:

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Jen´s right, you really have to rinse it well....and even when you think it´s completely clean and the water is clear, you still usually get some cloudiness in the tank so you´ve got to rinse it more..hehe
Also are you talking about real sand or fine gravel?
I really hope you didn´t put your newt directly into the tank with the new water and the sand not yet settled...I´m guessing if you did, the water will not be cycled not even at least aged...Ô_o

JWERNER

Reaction score
If you have a mechanical filter here is a tip.

Get some Crystal Clear from a pest store. People always use for Ammonia and say it don't work but thats not the products intent. It is a coagulant, it binds particles together and traps them in your mechanical filter. I do not suggest this as short cut to aging your water but it will help get rid of most of the dusty micro particles causing it be be unsightly:cool:.
I would also run your filter regardless. It will churn the particles that have air traped around them and help the settel better.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!