Newt saly or frogs please help

A

alex

please help im setting up a 4 foot tank at the moment one for axies and another for frogs or newts could anybody give me any really interesting species ideas ,its doing my head in keep changing my mind

Well, what kind of tank do you want? Aquatic? Terrestrial? Semiaquatic? Do you want something really outgoing? What kind of things are you looking for?

I assume the 4-foot tank is for the axolotls... what size is the second tank going to be?

both tanks are 4foot am after an outgoing critter dont mind wether its aquatic semi aquatic or terrestrial am interested in them all,

Hi Alex, it sounds like you might like some taricha granulosa. They are almost completely aquatic, you could just provide some plants that graze the water surface or some floating wood but the rest would be all aquatic. Pretty easy to take care of if you don't mind the newts. They are very outgoing, that is why I like them.

think they will be very hard to find a breeder in the uk are they similar to a sharp ribbed newt cant spell proper name

This site is currently selling marbled newts, sharp ribbed newts and fire bellied newts.

http://www.jacobs-ecology.co.uk

I bought my two spanish sharp ribbed newts from there at around 2pm and they were here the next day! So I would have a look.

Hello,
I'd probably recommend larger species of newt for such a large tank. Sharp ribbed would be nice, very friendly euro alternative to the T. granulosa one can find here. If you can find some, I have seen some pictures of wonderful Cynops ensicauda colonies being kept in large tanks.

Both species can be pretty outgoing and wouldn't be as difficult to find in such a large enclosure due to their size. Just some thoughts.

Hi Alex, Taricha pop up for sale from time to time in the UK. Sharp ribbed newts are very personable, voracious and hardy which makes them ideal newts for a beginner. A 4ft tank can easily house a handful.

You have to be a bit cautious about some claims of captive breeding. The web site Crof mentions is selling adult captive bred Cynops orientalis for £5.95 which seems a bit fishy to me. Maybe they are captive bred, who knows. Anything labelled as both "adult" and "captive bred" should ring alarm bells because very few breeders will keep an animal to adulthood before selling it.

Nah, if you check the other animals for sale he says the ones that are wild caught

eg. WC Grey Tree Frogs

But the Newts all say captive bred.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back