Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

"5-minute Guide To Amphibian Disease"

TJ

Reaction score
I found this informative article in Exotic DVM Veterinary Magazine today while searching for something else
biggrin.gif

http://www.exoticdvm.com/pdfs/sample5-2.pdf

(Message edited by TJ on August 25, 2004)

TJ

Reaction score
Here's a clipping from the same publication:

21171.jpg

21172.jpg

J

jennifer

Very interesting. Is it just me, or does this C. pyrrhogaster look suspiciously like it is actually a C. orientalis?

TJ

Reaction score
No, it's not just you. I pointed out the very same thing to the person who showed me this article
lol.gif

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
The Dendrobates auratus with spindly leg doesn't look like an auratus to me. At the end of the article they recommend "Amphibian Medicine and Captive Husbandry" by Wright and Whitaker. That book is something every serious amphibian hobbyist should have.

D

david

At $150.00 used or $300.00 new, "Amphibian Medicine and Captive Husbandry" had better be good. Does anyone own this book and if so, is it worth the money?

(Message edited by dln on August 26, 2004)

E

edward

Hi David,
I have the book (and worked under one of the major author/editors for a number of years). I bought mine brand new from the publisher for $150 so I would say that $300 is a little high for the book.
The information on diseases and treatments alone is worth the money to me.
There are some husbandry practices recommended in the book that are in my opinion much too conservative or occasionally possibly erroneous but it was written by vets....

Ed

D

david

Thanks Ed. Too bad about the husbandry part but if it's that good on medical treatment, I'll probably bite the bullet

michael

Reaction score
I have it. I bought it when it it first came out for 140.00 or 150.00. 300.00 seems steep. Try Larry at Maryland Reptile Farm. I bet he has it for 150.00. I saw it on his table last week at the Havre De Grace reptile show. I think it's a slow mover for him.
I did get the impression the vet stuff looked good. I think you would get better husbandry info from Caudata.culture, Dendroboard, Frognet, and some of the other online amphibian sites.
It's the most expensive book own but worth the money.

michael

Reaction score
Warriorbooks.com has it for 120.00 used. Amazon is weird it has it for 300.00 used and 150.00 new. I would think the used ones would be like new.

E

edward

Well its not the most expensive herp book I have purchased (my copy of Caecilians of the World has that distinction) and I'm sure that some of my other out of print books may be up there now (excluding some of my signed copies of some of out of print books).

I'm not saying that most of the husbandry is bad but it usually is conservative.

Ed

D

david

Thanks for the head's up Michael. I bought it from Warrior Books

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!