Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

***Can The Substrate Have Fertilizer In It?

M

mihogan

Hi, I could really use some help - thnx!

I have some salamanders and I was wondering if I could use potting soil as subtrate. It has fertilizer in it, so I didnt know if it would effect them. Is there an alternative to using the potting soil? There is 5" snow outside, so I can't dig up dirt. Please help me!

Thank You For Your Time,
Mihogan

P

paris

avoid potting soil with fertilizers, as well as with those white foam pellets. some top soil sold is clean of additives (this is usually the cheapest stuff and in large bags) you can buy 'bed a beast' at you local pet shops, this will be a good soil substitute. i would recommend against using native soil unless the sals are native also. if you want to use soil from outside with non natives, you can treat it first in a baking pan in the oven to help lower the possibilities of pathogens that are alien to non native species.

J

jeff

Fertilizers may lead to a <font color="ff0000">&#149;</font><font color="ff0000">&#149;</font><font color="ff0000">&#149;</font><font color="ff0000">&#149;</font> load of algea blooming at a alamring rate. You should get all the plants need from the poop induced nitrogen cycle.

J

jeff

Opps, I misread the post. just forget what I said and listen only to paris.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!