Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Potting aquatic plants or alternatives

GrumpaDirt

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I am hoping to be pointed into a better direction. I have found a couple of threads about this subject but I am still not satisfied with what I am seeing. I have gone with no substrate in my set up, and I have bought several plants in those mesh pots they can come in. So far they have been ok, but from what I understand the exposed roots with eventually rot and the plants will die. I started thinking maybe I need to add substrate, but I really dont want to stress the newts out with pulling everything part for that. So I have landed on potting my plants. First, I bought these pots from walmart, and I am not sure if they are safe, any takers? I put one in some water last night and am going to observe it for a few days and see what it does.

Clay Pot 3" | Walmart.ca

Next, I am stuck on whether I can use aquarium substrate that is mineral rich in my water set up or are there suggestions on a substrate to use with plants in pots?

If anyone out there has a better suggestion on how to go about making sure my plants lives as long as possible without disturbing my newts too much then I am all ears!

There should be a picture of my setup in my profile somewhere.

Thanks!

GrumpaDirt

Reaction score
That is an amazing thread and I agree it should be stickied! It answered all of my questions! Thanks Chinadog, I have not been here long but I am already seeing how active you are within this community and you have helped me several times already.

GrumpaDirt

Reaction score
Well, shoot me if I did something wrong, but I did it a bit differently. I used a couple of the clay pots, and I also picked up some little "fish bowls" for $2 each from the pet store. I also have one long tupperware container for down the left side to do tomorrow. I didnt go with rocks under the pots, but I plan on making hides soon out of slate or granite. I find these to be a bit bulky, but if it keeps the plants alive, cool beans. I might just try to spread the java moss around the pots and bowls because the newts seem to enjoy hiding in and under it.

Plants%202_zpsisajobfq.jpeg

Plants%201_zpsm29m2zza.jpeg

Plants%203_zpsc42lgor9.jpeg

Asevernnnn

Reaction score
I like it, maybe top it off with some sand to prevent waste from building up in the gravel

GrumpaDirt

Reaction score
I like it, maybe top it off with some sand to prevent waste from building up in the gravel

I bought a smaller vacuum so I was going to try that for now. I will finish the right side of the aquarium tomorrow. If I cant control the buildup I will add some sand to it for sure! (I also have a large baster for cleanup)

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Looks good to me. :) You might find the Java fern does best tied onto a piece of wood or rock, it is a plant that likes it's roots exposed and will naturally spread wherever you tie it.

GrumpaDirt

Reaction score
Looks good to me. :) You might find the Java fern does best tied onto a piece of wood or rock, it is a plant that likes it's roots exposed and will naturally spread wherever you tie it.

I happen to have a piece tied to some malaysian driftwood. Most of the rest is in there growing under my good lights for my other aquariums around the house, but I think I am going to get some Christmas moss for my other piece of driftwood. I REALLY like the look of Christmas moss!

I got the rest of my plants done today and did a quick vacuum. Having the plants in these pots made a HUGE difference in how easy it was to vacuum. Thanks again Chinadog!

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You're very welcome. :)
How are the newts doing? From what I can see they sure look ok, but imports can be quite fragile for a wile after purchase.

GrumpaDirt

Reaction score
They are doing awesome. They are eating earthworms any time I offer them. They are fully aquatic, mostly in plants, sometimes crawling around the rocks below. One is a bit skinny and the others are nice and plump, but all eating. One was latched onto another, and of those 2 one had a much larger tail, so I am wondering if male and female? I will figure that all out soon enough!

It looks so much better now all cleaned up with the plants all in pots. Couple of rocks and slate to hide under. I have some snails from some of the plants, so I threw 2 assassin snails in there to hopefully take care of them.

Finished%201_zpsiusfvcxb.jpeg

sde

Reaction score
Do you have pictures? Ive found that sexing H. orientalis by cloaca size is unreliable, pictures can help, its pretty easy to determine by tail size and shape

Are you asking me or the OP? That post doesn't really make sense....you quote me then ask if I have pictures...but I would think you mean the OP has pictures of his newt? Confusing......

Asevernnnn

Reaction score
Are you asking me or the OP? That post doesn't really make sense....you quote me then ask if I have pictures...but I would think you mean the OP has pictures of his newt? Confusing......

Quoted cause the article only shows how to sex based on cloaca size

sde

Reaction score
Cloaca comparison is of C. pyrrhogaster. Look at the first pictures, they are of H. orientalis, labeled male and female. It is quite obvious that the male in the picture has a tail that is shorter and wider. I suppose I just figured the OP would notice that.

GrumpaDirt

Reaction score
I still have no photos, but I could easily tell after reading the sexing tutorial that I have 3 males and 1 female. I may try getting one more female later on, I am not sure yet. My photos dont really turn out, and half the time the angles are wrong haaha.

I am really glad to see the forums back up. I dont know what I would do without all of your wonderful help everyone! Thanks again.

Asevernnnn

Reaction score
If you do, try to find some nice CB ones. Though raising larvae and morphs of the specie can be frustrating at times, they hatch and morph at very small sizes, which makes feeding an issue sometimes, and they have the urge to go terrestrial after morphing, though I put mine in a shallow aquatic setup(>1.5cm) with java moss.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1