Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Terra Cotta and Water Discoloration?

LakeJeffler

Reaction score
Hello, all!

I posted a question similar to this awhile back, but I'm having the same issues again, and have a new theory.

I have been battling cloudy, brown water for the entire length of my axolotl ownership. No matter how hard I try, I cannot seem to get my tank clear. I spot clean daily. I do weekly 30% water changes (I've recently been doing a mid-week 15% change, also). I don't know what else to do.

Originally, I thought it might be the food I was feeding them (sinking pellets with Spirulina). I changed food to a different sinking pellet and that seems to have helped some. But still too cloudy/dirty.

Strangely enough, at one point, the tank was almost crystal clear. For about four days.

I'm nearly positive that it can't be a bacterial/cycling issue. My tank has been up and running for six months now.

So yesterday I finally got fed up with it and did a massive tank cleaning. Brushed the sides of the tank, did a 50-70% water change, and cleaned my plastic plants in the old tank water. Thankfully, the water cleared up to a near-acceptable clarity. But I woke up this morning and, surprise, back to normal.

I'm pretty much at the extent of my knowledge on the subject. I'm so frustrated. I just want clean water for my lolts.

So, after that long-winded backstory, here's the question I pose: Is it possible that the terra cotta pots I am using for hides are leeching color into my water and causing the cloudiness and brown discoloration? I'm reluctant to think this, as the pots have been in there this entire time. I would think any leeching pigment would be gone by now, but I can think of no other explanation.

I would very much appreciate ANY help I can get on this. Also, any other theory as to the cause of the cloudiness would be considered as well.

Thanks, guys!!

SalaManda63

Reaction score
Hiya, Several questions needs to be asked also. How big is you aquarium and what type of filtration system are you using? The terra cotta pots may be the culprit to the brown water. The cloudy water may be your aquarium trying to build up of good bacteria. Having a bare bottom will cause this if your filtration system had not gone through with its cycling. You can speak to your local fish/aquarium store about correcting the cloudy water and having your aquarium reach a stable condition.

LakeJeffler

Reaction score
Hiya, Several questions needs to be asked also. How big is you aquarium and what type of filtration system are you using?

I have a 20-gallon tank filled with 12 gallons of water. My filter is a Treta Whisper 40i internal filter. It uses mechanical, chemical, and biological filter media.

The terra cotta pots may be the culprit to the brown water.

Is there a way for me to be sure of this? How would I remove the excess pigment to stop it from leeching? Or, what other suggestions might you have for hides?

The cloudy water may be your aquarium trying to build up of good bacteria.

I know this is a possibility, but my tank has been running for so long now that I have a hard time believing that in over six months it hasn't fully cycled yet.

Having a bare bottom will cause this if your filtration system had not gone through with its cycling. You can speak to your local fish/aquarium store about correcting the cloudy water and having your aquarium reach a stable condition.

I have sand as a substrate in my tank, so no bare bottom. Also, I trust you guys here on the topic of axolotls than I would any aquarium store employee. LOL!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!