Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Strange Cycling Tank Parameters?

Carl

Reaction score
I've been cycling my tank for 4 days now using pure Ammonia and I've just taken readings of my Ammonia level which appears to have dropped from roughly 4-5ppm to 2ppm (the colours on that card seem quite subjective:eek:) but my nitrite readings show 0ppm which I thought was odd... I've just done a Nitrate test and that comes out at 10ppm (the actual card jumps from 5.0 to 10:confused:)

what's going on?:dizzy:

I'm using an API Master Test Kit;)

Ed

Reaction score
Are you using the same tubes for the same test each time? If not you can get some false readings.

Also have you checked your source water to make sure that there isn't any nitrate in that to confuse the issue?

Ed

Carl

Reaction score
Are you using the same tubes for the same test each time? If not you can get some false readings.

Also have you checked your source water to make sure that there isn't any nitrate in that to confuse the issue?

Ed

I was washing the tubes out after every use.. is this not enough? I haven't checked my source water although I shall get on it:happy:

Carl

Reaction score
I was washing the tubes out after every use.. is this not enough? I haven't checked my source water although I shall get on it:happy:

Right I've just checked my tap water and as you suspeted it has 10ppm nitrate which explains the odd result:( is this going to be a problem? I suppose I could get water from downstairs in future (maybe water upstairs comes from a tank?)

Carl

Reaction score
Looks like my test kit is well out of date as well (bloody eBay) although the Nitrite test is only 2yrs unlike the rest which are 4yrs!!! according to the Nitrate test both the downstairs and upstairs water has nitrates in it 10ppm... could I use bottled water as control group?

Ed

Reaction score
It depends on the source of the water in the bottled water. Many companies bottle tap water so it may still show some false positives. If you want to check the accuracy of the test, use distilled water which you should be able to pick up at the store (people use it in irons and the like) pretty cheaply. Or alternately just use that as the correction level of the test and know that you always have at least 10 ppm of nitrate in the water.

Ed

Carl

Reaction score
on another question when would you expect me to see a drop in Ammonia? as I've re-done the test and it doesn't look like it's actually moved at all...

carsona246

Reaction score
it depends on a lot of factors, but I wouldn't be surprised that it hasn't dropped in 4 days. I once cycled a tank for 6 weeks without a drop in ammonia, although that is definitely not normal

Reactions: Ed

Ed

Reaction score
on another question when would you expect me to see a drop in Ammonia? as I've re-done the test and it doesn't look like it's actually moved at all...

Carson has it right. Unless you seeded the tank with bacteria from an established system you shouldn't to see a drop in the ammonia from bacterial conversion to nitrite until at least ten to 14 days has passed. You should test the levels if you have some form of aeration running in the tank as this can remove ammonia from the system requring a redosing.

Ed

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1